Getting old zipper to free to replace cushion foam

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

I've got a good source for foam replacement in some of my cushions.

Having difficulty in getting some of the 25 year old zippers to start moving to allow me to remove the old foam.

Any ideas to get the zippers loosened up without destroying them?

Answers I've received elsewhere, so far:  PB Blaster (limitd spray pattern :D)and hitting the zipper sharply with the handle of a butter  knife (really!  :D).

Any other ideas?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gary

Stu,

I would try McLube Sailkote. It is fantastic at cutting all kinds of friction and lubricating. It will not stain the fabric (I would be worried about PB Blaster doing that) and has at least a little solvent action when direct sprayed. If the evaporation of McLube is too quick I would try using acetone as a solvent first on the cushion zippers.

Sailkote is terrific for almost anything that moves on a boat and is not greasy or does it stain.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

To me, the PB Blaster and the acetone seems a little harsh for the intended use. I would try either WD-40 or 3 in 1 oil applied with a small paint brush so you can better controll the application and leave it sit for a while to penetrate.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Kevin Henderson

I agree with Gary on the SailKote.  Spray it in direct to the teeth and let it soak.  shouldn't be too harsh on the fabric.  I've also read where a few drops of dishwashing soap works well.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ron Hill

Stu : Go with the dishwashing soap.  I believe that ounce you get it started it will unzip easily.

If all else fails - break the zipper car and it will come apart by itself - as I'm certain that you don't want to reuse the cushion covering again. 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on December 05, 2011, 06:07:26 PM- as I'm certain that you don't want to reuse the cushion covering again.  

Thanks for the dishwashing liquid tip.

Don't be so certain.  The whole purpose is to retain the coverings, they're in great shape.

That's why I want to undo the zippers without destructive demolition.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

TonyP

What about silicon spray???
Keep them clean and free of salt build up and corrosion
cheers
Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Tom Soko

Stu,
Another possibility is to replace the slider after you destroy it.  Years ago I bought a "Rescue Kit" from this company and it worked well:
http://www.zipperrescue.com/
The rescue kit only contains a few of each item, but I'm sure if you contact the company, you can get a bunch of the same slider that fits your cushions.  Your nylon "teeth" are probably in fine shape.  The problem is usually the cheap metal in the sliders and the salt environment. After 25 years they don't owe you anything!
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

pablosgirl

Hi Stu,

Would you please provide the information for your source of good foam.  I am missing the settee insert cushion and want to replace it.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Stu Jackson

Paul, I received this message from a regular over on co.com:

I can't help with the zippers, hopefully the other suggestions will help. I just wanted to also throw out a place where we have been getting foam at good prices...

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/

They have lots of different types to choose from and free shipping which is important for us as we live in the middle of No-Where, Utah. We have used the dryfast for the cockpit and the lux high quality for the V-berth and inside cushions. We like it in the 3 inch so well that we now have it for the V-berths in the Mac and Endeavour, our teardrop trailer, the Suburban bed and even our main bed at home. Now no matter where we go we are almost always sleeping on the same mattress.

They have another site that is labeled wholesale, but anyone can buy from it.....

http://www.foamdistributing.com/

....we are now ordering full sheets from that site as it is so much cheaper and they are so easy to cut with a $15 electric carving knife. We have been very satisfied with the foam and service.

You might of found better pricing...hope so...just thought I would throw these out there for a comparison,

Sum

There's also one local here in Albany, near Berkeley, that was identified in the Fleet 1 section of the website, here:  Reply #2:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1947.0.html

Ron Hill

Stu : I'm surprised that in a 1986 C34 that the cushion covers are still usable.  

Guess you guys on the left coast don't sit down much or the boat was seldom used!  I've already replaced all of the seat foam and the covers a couple of years ago.  But then I average 100/110 overnights a year (not including day sailing) and have done that for 24 years!
Ron, Apache #788

pablosgirl

Ron,

Ours are in surprisingly good shape form fabric that is over 22 years old! and my zippers even work. The only thing that is wrong with ours is that I am missing the settee insert cushion that the PO sold off.

Our boat was originally from the Chesapeake area until it was moved to Texas ~8 years ago.  So I guess you guys on the right coast don't sit down much either.

Stu, I very much appreciate all the links of the foam sources!

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP