Stiff steering and quadrant corrosion

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob K

The steering stiffened up noticably duing the half hour motor to the winter haulout marina yesterday.  After haul, I inspected inside and out, and saw nothing.  It appears the stiffness is in the rudder, and not the wheel or cables.  I will try adding some oil when I inspect the packing gland - maybe that willl help.  During inspection I noticed big-time corrosion on the top side of the steering quadrant.  Lots of white powder - almost looks like a coating of snow.   A photo is attached though it does not show too good.  Is quadrant corrosion common?  Not sure why it would corrode so much, as it should be dry. Aluminum quadrant against stainless rudder shaft - has anyone ever installed a zinc on the quadrant? 
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

frank

Bob; I noticed the same white powder build up on my steering quad. No stiffening in steering. Will be interested to see the postings from others. Frank

2ndwish

Bob- I can't see it in your photo, but our quadrant has drain holes which limit the amount of standing water. Water gets in there by draining down the sides of the shaft from the cockpit seat. Water intrusion can be limited by using sealant under the plastic washer at the post cap.  I don't know whether it is the same on the '92 or not. Even with the drain and a relatively dry climate, we get some corrosion on the quadrant.
T

Bob K

I was thinking the corrosion might somehow be related to my stiff steering, but can't see any way it can be.  I disconnected the steering cables today, and found the problem is mostly in the wheel.  I have never lubricated the bearings before, and from poking around on this site, I see that I should have been doing it periodically.  I tried to add teflon lube in the lube holes but could not get any to go in. Maybe the old grease might be dried and binding. I think I need to pull the wheel shaft and clean/lube the bearings.  I should have packed up and went home at that point, because the next findings were more disturbing.  With the rudder free of the steering cables, I turned the rudder at the quadrant and heard a bang each time I reversed direction.  Traced this to lateral (side to side) movement of the rudder.   Also saw water weeping out the rudder /rudder stock interface, as well as water sitting in the bottom of the rudder tube.  So after searching the forum for info on all these issues, it looks like, at a minimum, I need to drop the rudder a few inches and inspect, drain the water over the winter, seal the tube, and shim the bearings when reassembled.  May pull the rudder off altogether and sit it next to the basement woodstove all winter.  And I was originally hoping to get the winter cover on next weekend!
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Les Luzar

Regarding the stiff steering issue, I experienced this in the past where my wheel became very hard to turn and after lubricating and adjusting my quadrant cables still had the problem. Then I noticed some black crud falling out of the steering wheel hub. I sprayed with WD 40 and and worked the wheeling back and forth to work in the lubrication and my steering was then fine. No feeling of any binding after that.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

tonywright

Bob, the manual specifically warns against lubing the packing gland with any king of grease or oil. Water only. Maybe the gland is over-tightened?

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Bob K

Tony,  The packing turned out to be OK, so I didn't get to make a mistake and oil it!  Thanks for the tip.
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Bob : Salt water has dripped through your flush mounted emergency tiller cap (walk thru transom) and leaked on to the steering quadrant.  I've never heard of a Zn on a steering quadrant.

You are the owner of a "weeping rudder" that needs to be resealed - after it's dry-ed out. 
Ron, Apache #788

Bob K

Stiff steering wheel fixed!  The bearings on the wheel needed grease.   Early attempt to grease didn't work because the small grease holes were plugged with dry grease.  Once I cleaned the holes, was able to inject grease using a syringe.
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay