Reefing advice needed

Previous topic - Next topic

PK

I've recently been trying to make my reefing system easier to use while attempting to use the systems I have and to also maintain an effective sail shape once reefed.  I don't seem to be making much progress and would like to see if anyone has any advice.  I ultimately would like to have 2 reefs ready to use lead back to the cockpit.

Currently I have a single line reefing system.  The system uses blocks at the tack and clew cringle and the line passes inside the boom, exiting the top of the boom front and back.  (Exactly as shown in the wiki for single line reefing)  The issue I have is that once the reef is in, it is very difficult to shake it back out under sail.  It seems that the chafe point shown in the wiki (line exiting the boom forward thru tack block) makes it almost impossible to raise the halyard and sail.  I end up having to grab the line exiting the boom aft and pulling the reef line thru by hand and then raising the halyard.  While this works, its somewhat precarious hanging onto the boom under sail pulling the line out with no one at the helm.

I then tried running the single reef line thru the cringles without the blocks.  This simply created too much friction to shake out, but did create a nicer sail shape and was fairly easy to set.

I understand the double line reefing system, but my boom is set up to use a single line system and and I would like to avoid adding all of the external blocks and eyelets on the boom for the clew line and turning blocks and stoppers to get all the lines back to the cockpit.

What have people done to make their single line systems work better?  Is double line reefing the only "real" way to make this all work effectively?  Is it difficult for everyone to shake out their reefs and I'm just whining?  Any thoughts on system improvements, line type, block type/placement etc... would be appreciated.  Thanks everyone!

Jim Hardesty

I may not have the best answer, Shamrock has in mast furling main, but here is my advice.  Check your line and blocks for wear and dirt/sticking.  You may want to try some McLube to get things sliding better.  Smaller diameter line slides and runs better.   As for hanging onto the boom and pulling on the line, try this.  From a hardware store get a 3' long 5/8" dowel and a hook screw.  Put the hook screw in end of the dowel.  Then use that for hooking and pulling your line with your feet still on the cockpit floor.  I use one to adjust my leach line of my main.  It stores nicely in the water drain slot of the sliding hatch.  What ever you do keep at it till you find what works best for you and your boat.  It's a pleasure to sail on a windy day with just the right amount of sail, sailing with too much canvas is for kids and people that just want to have problems and break things.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: PK on November 29, 2011, 08:30:55 AMIs double line reefing the only "real" way to make this all work effectively?  Is it difficult for everyone to shake out their reefs and I'm just whining?  Any thoughts on system improvements, line type, block type/placement etc... would be appreciated. 

Yup, double line is the only way to go.

Right!  Easy for me to say, 'cuz my PO knew what he was doing (in many, but not all regards) and did good stuff to the boat.  I can't blame him for anything anymore, 'cuz we've now had it longer than he did and we've put on twice as many hours per year.  So there!!!  :D

Putting aside in mast or in boom or the ye-olde roller boom from the UK, there are really only two choices, right?

You can continue to try to use single line reefing, and can try the C380 "trick" of using the blocks through the reefing cringles with D or O rings, or you can go to double line reefing.

The reefing lines don't have to be complicated, nor is the hardware.  Ours is inside the boom.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,541.0.html

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,289.0.html

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2780.0.html

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."