Replacing Main Halyard

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob K

Steve,
We used VPC for our new main halyard.   It has less stretch (0.8%) compared to Sta Set X (1.3%).   It had a very stiff hand the first year, to the point that I questioned if I made a wrong decision.  It has softened over the 3 years of service, so am now very happy with it.   
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Stu Jackson

Some halyard input from another C34 skipper ---

Samson XLS Extra was created for performance-oriented cruisers and for club racers wanting higher strength, very low stretch and lighter weight than can be achieved with a traditional polyester double braid. Like competition grade running rigging, XLS Extra offers the smooth flexibility of a 24-strand braided polyester cover with a braided core made from a blend of MFP and Dyneema SK-60. This blended core offers the strength and light weight of Dyneema fiber for performance, without the high price of a 100% Dyneema core.
• XLS Extra is low stretch and makes an excellent wire halyard replacement; additionally, it may be used for all sheeting and control applications
• The 24-strand braided polyester cover design outperforms traditional 16, 20, or 32-strand covers for overall durability, flexibility and grip on winches and stoppers
• Core: 8-strand braid/SK-60 Dyneema®/MFP Olefin blend/non-treated
• Splicing technique: core-dependent double braid splice
• XLS Extra is navy blue, with a choice of tracer colors
• XLS Extra-T is white, with a choice of tracer colors including a white tracer for a solid white line
• Sold by the foot
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ralph Masters

Good information Stu, thanks a million,

Merry Christmas too........

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ralph Masters

Photos of the new deck organizer I installed to help with the binding problem  on the main sheet and main halyard
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Les Luzar

Ralph,
Thanks for the picture. It certainly looks like a good answer to the binding problem. I am definitely adding this idea to my project list!  :thumb:

Les
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Garth

Thank you for posting the photo Ralph. Worth a thousand words!!! I can see exactly what you're talking about now.

Cheers,

Garth

Stephen Butler

Just purchased some Samson XLS line for a jib halyard, outhaul, and some reefing controls.  Works and looks great so far.  Would recommend it based on our 90 day experience.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023