Rigging New Traveler Car on Older C34

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Butler

Just installed a new traveler car and end pieces.  Installation went well and very happy with the setup.  However, the traveler car has 3 attachment points, while my mainsheet tackle attachs to only one point.  So what are the other two points used for?  Assume it is for newer 34s.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ron Hill

Steve : Why not post a picture so we know what you are talking about!?

When in doubt use the center attaching point on the traveler car!!
Ron, Apache #788

MarkT

The traveler car should be fitted with a single block at each attachment point. The boom should have a single block with becket at the center bail and single blocks at the other two.

Main sheet passes from the becket around the center traveler block back around the center block on the boom. Down and around another traveler car block and on through the block toward the boom end now back through the third block on the traveler  and from there through the last block on the boom and so on.

I was at the point of pulling the trigger on doing this upgrade but I've now spent the funds on a different winter project. Maybe next season. Send us a picture of your completed project.

Mark

noworries

You're probably set up like mine, with a fiddle block with becket.  If you took that off you could replace it with 3 blocks, one into each of the connection points.  I don't know if there's an advantage of one way or the other though.
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Ken Juul

Remember that the traveller isn't C34 specific, it can be used on many different models and makes.  With the std C34 mainsheet system, only the center connection is used.  They will remove the outside bails if you request it when you order the system.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ed Shankle

Agree with Ken. When I did the same replacement, Garhauer said to just use the center attachment point.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

scotty

Are there attachment points for the traveler adjustment lines (the ones that pull it to port or starboard)?
Scotty

Stephen Butler

Apologies for the lack of pictures, but we are on the boat and the camera is not.  Interestingly several other boats (all non-Catalinas) have the same traveler, and use only the center attachment point.  We replaced ours when the 21 year old original equipment blocks started to disintergrate from age and sun exposure.  Also replaced the vang, the mast top sheaves, and a few other bits and pieces.   
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ken Juul

One of the unused bails is circled in red
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mert Gollaher

I did the traveler car upgrade last spring and the mainsheet block upgrade a year or two ago. When I called Garhauer about the mainsheet blocks, Guido asked whether I had done the traveler car upgrade.  He suggested that since the traveler was on my near term list, I go with separate single blocks instead of a new fiddle block in the mainsheet block upgrade and leave the old fiddle in place until I did the traveler car upgrade.  I went with that approach and upgraded all the mainsheet blocks but the fiddle, and then replaced the fiddle block with singles when I did the traveler car.  As I recall, Guido noted two value points - spreading the load across the larger traveler car and eliminating the large fiddle stacked with another block for line of sight reasons.  I didn't "see" the value in the second point at the time, but when the dodger is down it does help a bit.  Mark's description of the path of the mainsheet above is what I have in place.  The combination of the two upgrades has made a world of difference.  I don't have a picture at home, but I can get one the next time I visit the boat.

Mert
Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT

Craig Illman

I wish I would have had the later approach. When I tried to increase my purchase from 5:1 to 6:1, I got a lot of twist between the upper fiddle block and lower fiddle block connected to the single attachment on the traveller car.

Craig

Stephen Butler

Many thanks for the picture and great info.  We will most likely completely replace our mainsheet gear next year and this will be a great help.  Thanks again. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023