Bow Sprit

Previous topic - Next topic

Meerkata

Has anyone built a bow sprit? (for use with an A-sail).

Les Luzar

I saw one in the sailboat listings of the Catalina Yacht Anchorage which is a Yachtworld site. Google CAtalina Yacht Anchorage and click on the listing for Yachtworld and you will see all their Catalina listing. There will be a 1989 C-34 with a adjustable bowsprit used for racing. YW listing number 57429-2382978. It is still there. Look through the photo gallery and you will see what this owner has done.  :D
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Gary Brockman

I don't think you need a bow sprit unless you want to use an oversized sail.  I have stopped using my symmetrical spinnakers in favor of aysos because that are much easier to handle with an inexperienced crew and because they are faster.  I fly my reaching ayso (A-3) off the bow rollers with a two to one tack line and fly the running ayso (A-2) either off the bow rollers or off the spinnaker pole (using the tack line as a foreguy), depending on wind angle/wind speed.  Both sails are very effective and are fast.  
The A-2 is effect to about 165 degrees apparent and to DDW with the pole.  

The only reason I would think about a sprit would be if I wanted to use a furler on the spinnaker, like a code 0.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

scotty

There is another thread about the product from Catalina Yacht Store.  It's called "Is anyone else out there thinking about doing a furling geninaker?" the address is:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6627.0.html   There are also a lot of threads on asymmetrical spinnakers.  The thing about the product from Catalina Yacht store is that it has a bow sprit and the roller furling.  That roller furling sure looks good.  The price is really high at about $4,000.  Opps.  Still, check it out.
Scotty

Mark Sutherland

I'm just curious if anyone has any concerns about tacking a asym to the bow roller(I have the tiny roller setup on my '86).  Can the roller handle  the pressure?  Thanks
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

Gary Brockman

This is a good question.  I have tried to determine what the load factor is on the tack of an asym but haven't been able to find a formula that estimates it.  I know from experience that when loaded up on a beam reach in 10-12 kts of wind, it is impossible for one person to adjust the tack line without using a winch.  Because of this load, I use a two to one set up on the tack line that
distributes the load between the two stainless retaining rods above the bow rollers by using a spliced eye in the end of the tack line on the starboard rod, then thru a block with a snap shackle attached to the tack of the spinnaker, and then down to a block on the port rod, and back to the cockpit.  So far so good as to the bow fitting, but I continue to inspect it after every race.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Roc

I showed this picture to a local sailmaker, because I've been investigating a Asym Spinnaker. He said don't attach the sail to the bow roller.  Instead use the hole in the fitting (shown right below the furling drum) that is used for a hanked on genoa.  The tack line will rub the drum, but he said that wouldn't be an issue.  The bow roller isn't designed to take an upward force.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

jkar

Yes, built one out of carbon about 8 years ago.  Still going strong.  Mine is mounted in the bow roller with a block and line back to the port cabin top winch.  My roller doesn't look like Roc's (mine is flush with bow, '87 mkI) and have not had a problem.  I would not mount it to what Roc has, that would bend as stated.  If interested I can take a picture this weekend and send you a build list.  Joel

Ron Hill

Meer : As Gary said you don't need a bow sprit for the regular cruising spinnaker.  

The double small rollers on C34s 1986 thru 1988 are an integral part of the bow stem fitting and either one is MORE than strong enough to handle the tack of an asymmetrical spinnaker.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Rick Johnson

My solution, although I have since added two pieces of aluminum bar stock to keep the shackle from angling up.
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Roc

Rick,
That looks pretty nice!  That looks like a very big shackle, is that size easy to find?  Interested in seeing the angle stock you added to keep the block profile straighter.  If you get a picture, that would be appreciated! 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Wayne

Meerkata, please read my two long posts under the thread titled 'Asym Spinnaker and masthead modifications' . . . I just posed my comments so the thread should be adjacent to this thread.
Basically, I have done something similar to what you are thinking of doing; I have a code 0 with a continuous line furler and my setup works great!
Good luck; if you do your project well I'm sure you will really like it.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Wayne

Also I dug up a picture under an old post called 'Rigging for an Asym Spinnaker' which I just revived . . .
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca