Weight

Previous topic - Next topic

Fou Du Large

We put our boats on craddle last weekend . 
Hooked on the crane my Catalina-34 1986
weight 15,200 pds.
No water, no food, ready for the winter.
This a lot more than 12,000 pounds....  in spec. ???
Why???
Martial
C-34  1986 
No-58
'' OCEANE ''

Ron Hill

Martial : You are finding out what a number of us have known for years - the C34 is a heavier boat than advertised.  
The reason the wing draft went from 3'10"(design goal) to 4'3" is because the weight of the boat caused it to sit lower in the water!!

The 12,550 lbs was the "design goal" (wing keel) and they didn't make it!!  
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Ron,
Sounds like my design goal and current weight issue.......... :shock:
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ralph Masters

Last year when we di the haul out for the survey, we were less then 1/4 tank of fuel and both water tanks were nearly empty.  Also all the PO belongins were off and the boat , an 87 fin keel, came in at 11,950.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Ralph & Guys : The salient point - is that the wing keel C34 does NOT have a draft of 3'9" as designed!!
Just ask yourself what causes a boat to sit lower in the water?  and YOU HAVE THE ANSWER.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Having been the damage Control Officer on two ships and the load master for a navy oiler I am very familiar with weight vs draft of a ship, and righting arms and heeling moments.  But I would be very interested in knowing the weight of our boat now that we've "moved" aboard.  When we have it hauled this winter for bottom paint I plan to leave the tanks full, except the holding tank, just to get an idea of where we are now.  The survey haul out will serve as a good base line.
Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Ralph : A GREAT Idea.  
When your boat is hauled ask one question -- "When was the last time these strain gages were calibrated?"

I believe that you will be appalled at the answer !!  As they most likely have never been calibrated!!  

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

frank

Our Winged keel Catalina 34 clocked 18000lbs when hauled out this past September.

Ralph Masters

Ron,
Good point, and the fact that I am planning on using a different yard could make a bunch of difference too.

Have a great week end,

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Steve Sayian

I was hauled in June for a lightning strike survey and we tipped the scales at about 15.5K.  Full water and H2O tanks and provisioned.
No idea of guage cal date.

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass