Hull Gelcoat Color - '88

Previous topic - Next topic

kurt

Hello everyone,

Getting some damage repaired on my hull and am now trying to match gelcoat colors.  My boat is a 1988 hull #796.  I initially selected the spectrum color 3500 which is the '80-'88 Catalina gelcoat color supposably.  After spraying by the boatyard it turned out to be much too yellow.  Have ordered a quart of of the 3503 which is the white for the '89-'95 Catalina's which is due to arrive midweek and will be tried then.  Spectrum color people say the 3500 is yellower and the 3503 is bluer.  Anyone ever go through this matching excersize and have any advice to share?

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/Items.aspx?key=cat&code=stwhite&manu=CATALINA&incl_m=F

Thanks

Kurt

Ron Hill

Kurt : I ordered some small patch bottles "89-95" from Spectrum and found it OK.  

However, I also ordered pint cans of white, gray and camel(tan) from the Catalina factory - have you called Catalina?
Ron, Apache #788

kurt

Hello everyone,

Re-sprayed the boat with the '89-'95 catalina spectrum white gelcoat for my '88 C34 and the results where superb.  (A very small amount of red was added to this color to ensure/improve match.)  Boatyard said the '80-'88 spectrum catalina white looked ok until it dried when it turned much too yellow.

So, moral of story, your '88 may require the '89-'95 color so...

Regards,

Kurt