Cleaning the Rub-Rail

Previous topic - Next topic

mtullier

I wanted to share a project I completed about a year ago.  My rub rail made my boat look dated and dirty.  It was covered with creosote from pilings, deep mildew, and who knows what else.  I tried many cleaners and nothing worked.  I then tried acetone with fine steel wool and scrubbed.  It now looks like it did in 1987.  No stains at all.  I was afraid it may damage the rubber and fade or make it brittle.  It has been a year and continues to hold up fine & look brand new.  Much less expensive than purchasing a new one from Catalina Direct.  
Mike

Ron Hill

Mike : Now what I'd suggest, ,is to put a coat of 1 Step Cleaner Wax on the vinyl.  It will give it some life, help keep it clean and make the luster come back out.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

John Langford

I find that I can get by with a bi-annual wipe with acetone using a cloth rather than an abrasive like steel wool. And Ron is right. Wax does seem to help it stay clean.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Roc

Doesn't acetone react with the rub rail plastic, making it permenantly sticky?
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Roc, no, it dries very quickly.  The wax just shines it up.  I used to used acetone on fenders, but recently "discovered" ACE hardware brush & roller cleaner.  Faster and easier.  I, too, thought those chemicals would melt the material, but they don't.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

Stu,
Thats what Bob Casey "This Old Boat" recommends for cleaning just about everything.  Check first, some of the brush cleaners have a yellow tint that will sometimes stay on the porous surface.  I highly recommend "This Old Boat" as a good DYI reference.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Roc

The reason I mention the softening of the plastic using acetone is because on this site, people have said they used it to clean the shore power cord, only to make it worse because the acetone left it sticky, attracting more dirt.  I use this stuff called M-1 Remover, which is safe for fiberglass and plastic.  Cleans just about anything, without softening the plastic. I've used it to clean the power cord and I'm sure it would work on the rub rail.

http://www.d-mandbetterproducts.com/downloads/M1_TJ_Remover_Sell_Sheet.pdf
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD