ST60 Wind Vane binding

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hi all..
This is something that has progressively become worse over the years.  Here's the situation.  At times, in light air, I can be sailing close hauled with wind definitely apparent on my face, but the wind vane ontop of the mast would stop spinning.  Then it would start up again.  Went up the mast this past weekend and pulled it off.  I can't notice any binding when you try to spin it by hand.  The cups do wobble a bit and move in and out, but I can't feel any hard spot that might hang up.

Before I send it to Raymarine, would like to know if anyone has any insight with this situation.
Thanks!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

paule

Had the same problem had to send to Raymarine for repair the unit is sealed. Now 2 years latter and know is off by 90 degrees tried to recalibrate and still off. Can anybody recommend a solution to this?

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Ken Juul

your fingers put a lot more pressure on the cups than a light wind does, can you make them spin by blowing on them?  Could just be years of accumulated salt spray/spider webs causing some binding.  Give it a good dose of wd40 to clean it up then follow up with a silicone or light oil lubricant.

Paul, sounds like the wind vane has spun on the shaft.  If it is a press fit not sure what to tell you, pull it off and reset?  If held by a set screw, perhaps the screw is loose.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Roc

Ken,
That's pretty much what I was thinking of doing.  I've read posts on other sites and some people actually feel that the bearings are not moving and a hard spot is felt.  In my case, it seems to spin ok.  I can blow on it and cause the cups to spin.  So maybe I need to just clean it up well.

RV61

Roc,
I have had the vane from time to time not spin and in my case it was darn spider webs causing the issue.
Either a trip up the mast or a good breeze has taken care of the issue.
Rick 
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

paule

Thanks Ken. What confuses me is the unit is still sending the speed.
Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Ken Juul

The wind vane has two different senders.  Direction on the top and speed on the bottom.  They sense different things therefore they are seperate systems integrated into one unit.  If you look closely at the end on view, it looks like there might be a set screw.  Maybe as simple as loosening, repostioning and tighten.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Bobg

mine seems to spin just fine, it just doesn't record the correct wind speed, I have compared it to numerous boats around me, when everyone else records say 30 knots mine says 20 knots, on the water when the wind is blowing the tops off the waves and causing whitcaps, I read 10 knots of wind, anyone ever had this problem?  Thanks   Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

paule

Ken,
Thanks will take a look.
Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

RV61

Bob,
My wind indicator is set up only to ready Apparent Wind.  I do not have hooked up with boat speed indicator due to incompatible with old boat speed indicator thus when I compare wind speeds of others I ask if others are reading True Wind Speed or an Apparent Wind Speed.  Just a thought   
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Ken Juul

Bob,
Just a wild shot, if you have not upgraded you instruments, perhaps there is an adjustment screw on the back of the indicator.  I have not looked at the back of my wind indicator, but several years ago I did adjust the knot meter.  I'm still using the late '80s vintage Standard Horizon units.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Roc

I found my small allen wrench and took off the plastic cups from the spindle.  When I turn the spindle with my finger, I can hear it squeaking.  Does this mean the bearing needs replacement or maybe just a rinse and lube with dry lubricant?  I do notice some surface rust on the spindle and ajoining surface. I thought I read somewhere on this site that someone bought bearings for this.  Are they easy to replace?  Not sure if mine needs replacement just for squeaking, but the squeak certainly means it's not spinning as freely as it could.  I mentioned before, blowing on the cups does make it spin.  But now that I removed them, I guess the squeak is now able to be heard.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks!

scotty

I have no experience,but...  What do you have to lose by trying a good lubricant?
Scotty

Roc

Scotty,
That was my first thought.  However, it's the squeak that I hear and these are sealed bearings, which all the lubrication in the world would probably not do much since they are sealed.  It's worth a try, but wanted to see if anyone had a simliar situation.

Thanks

mel low

I too have the 80s vintage Standard Horizon units and my bearing went out and I found a ss bearing on line that only cost $10. I installed last spring and it works great.