Annapolis Sailboat Show

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Blake

The show is coming up...Oct 6th - 10th. I have always wanted to sail in to the show and spend a couple of days soaking in the ambience. In the past, I've just driven up...but sailing up has a big appeal. Any suggestions on where to anchor? I can probably only get there the day before it starts...know it will be crowded. Do I need to consider going up earlier and hang out to be nearer the activities?
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Lance Jones

Short answer -- YES!!!!
The moorings go quickly. That is the only way you can stay in the harbor. Don't know if you can reserve one. Come by the Gill booth (Land 70) and say hi!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

Lots of folks anchor north of the mooring balls along the Naval Academy sea wall. Although the regulations say you need to get permission from the Academy.  The Annapolis dockmaster can probably tell you if there is room and how to get permission.

Navigation Regulations
extracts from Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) that are of importance to mariners in the area covered by this Coast Pilot.

Title 33

110.159 Annapolis Harbor, MD.
(260) (a) The Anchorage Groundsâ€"(1) Naval Anchorage for Deep Draft Vessels. In the Chesapeake Bay, bounded on the north by latitude 38°58'00"; on the east by a line bearing 203° from latitude 38°58'00", longitude 76°24'00"; on the south by latitude 38°56'30"; and on the west by a line bearing 139° from Greenbury Point Shoal Light. This anchorage is reserved for deep draft naval vessels. Berths in the area will be assigned on application to the Superintendent, U.S. Naval Academy.

(261) (2) Middle Ground Anchorage. Beginning at a point in the Severn River 139°, 620 yards from Triton Light (located at the intersection of the northeast and southeast seawall of the Naval Academy grounds); thence easterly to a point 112°30', 970 yards from Triton Light; thence southeasterly to a point 274°, 1,045 yards from the radio tower at the tip of Greenbury Point; thence south-southeasterly to a point 233°30', 925 yards from the radio tower at the tip of Greenbury Point; thence west to a point 295°, 1,015 yards from Greenbury Point Shoal Light; thence northwesterly to the point of beginning.

(262) (3) South Anchorage. In the Severn River, beginning at a point on the shoreline at Horn Point, Eastport, 168°, 1,190 yards from Triton Light; thence east to a point 294°, 1,075 yards from Greenbury Point Shoal Light; thence northwest to a point 143°, 595 yards from Triton Light; thence westerly to a point 209°, 700 yards from Triton Light; thence 180° to a point on the shoreline at Eastport. No vessel shall anchor within 100 feet of any wharf, marine railway, or other structure without the permission of the owner thereof.

(263) (4) Naval Anchorage for Small Craft. In the Severn River, beginning at a point 80 feet off the southeast seawall of the Naval Academy bearing 132° from Triton Light; thence easterly to a point 072°30', 285 yards from Triton Light; thence southeasterly to a point 109°, 785 yards from Triton Light; thence westerly to a point 211°, 537 yards from Triton Light; thence northwesterly to a point 45 yards off the southeast seawall of the Naval Academy bearing 214°, 535 yards from Triton Light; thence northeasterly to the point of beginning. Except in the case of emergency, no vessel shall be anchored in this area without the permission of the Superintendent, U.S. Naval Academy. Anchorages will be assigned upon request to the Superintendent, U.S. Naval Academy.

(264) (5) Spa Creek Anchorage. In Spa Creek, those waters bounded by a line connecting the following points:

(265) 38°58'37.3"N., 76°28'48.1"W.

(266) 38°58'36.1"N., 76°28'57.8"W.

(267) 38°58'31.6"N., 76°29'03.3"W.

(268) 38°58'26.7"N., 76°28'59.5"W.

(269) Datum: NAD 83

(270) Note.â€"The City Council of Annapolis has promulgated local ordinances to control the building of structures, and mooring and anchorage of vessels in anchorages (a)(3), and (a)(5). These local ordinances will be enforced by the local harbormaster.

(271) (b) The regulations. (1) Except in the case of emergency, no vessel shall be anchored in the area to the north and east of the Annapolis Channel bounded on the east by Greenbury Point; on the south by a line bearing 270° from the southern tip of Greenbury Point; on the west by the Annapolis Channel; on the north by the southern boundary of the cable area and the shoreline of the Government reservation and Carr Creek.

(272) (2) Except in the case of emergency, no vessel shall be anchored in Annapolis Harbor to the westward of the dredged channel and northward of the southern boundary of the South Anchorage outside of the established anchorage areas, except in Spa Creek and the area to the southwestward of the Naval anchorage for small craft. No vessel shall be so anchored that any part of the vessel extends at any time within this area. Any vessel anchoring, under great emergency, within this area shall be placed as close to an anchorage area as practicable, and shall move away immediately after the emergency ceases.

(273) (3) No vessel shall be anchored in the cable and pipeline area, lying between the Naval Academy and the Naval Ship Research and Development Laboratory and having the following limits: Southeastern limit, from Triton Light 072° to white “Cable Crossing” sign at the Naval Ship Research and Development Laboratory; northwestern limit, a line bearing 054° from the Capitol Dome.

(274) (4) Except in the case of emergency, no vessel shall be anchored, without permission of the Superintendent, U.S. Naval Academy, in the Naval Academy Drill area described as follows:

(275) That portion of the Severn River lying to the northeastward of the Naval Academy, bounded on the north by the State Highway Bridge and on the south by the northern limit of the cable and pipeline area, excluding that area off the eastern shoreline enclosed by a line bearing approximately 131° from the eastern abutment of the State Highway Bridge to the vicinity of Ferry Point. This drill area also includes the lower part of Dorseys Creek below the Naval Academy Drawbridge. Requests to anchor in this drill area shall be made to the Superintendent, U.S. Naval Academy.

(276) (5) The restrictions in this section do not apply to the anchoring or marking by buoys or apparatus used for the purpose of taking seafood, except within the cable or pipeline area described in paragraph (b)(3) of this subsection.

(277) (6) The regulations in paragraph (b) shall be enforced by the Superintendent, U.S. Naval Academy, and such agencies as he may designate.

Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Roger Blake

Thanks Lance and Ken...guess I need to rethink when I go...now, can I get off work to go up early...hmmm...might be another trip by car.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Ron Hill

Most members of Fleet 12 (Chesapeake Bay) are going on Friday. 
Ron, Apache #788

Roger Blake

Ron--I will try to make it up on Friday...think I know the answer to this question already...does Fleet 12 have a booth there (guess is no...)? Is there a prearranged meeting area/time for Fleet 12? Would like to finally meet the members I haven't met already...you being one!
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Ron Hill

Roger and All interested : Fleet 12 is meeting at Adams Rib (Eastport) I believe the time is 18:00/18:30. 
We also usually meet at the Fleet Reserve about noon for lunch.   
Ron, Apache #788

paule

Ron,
Like to catch up with you haven't seen you in while. Will be there Wed-Sun :clap :thumb:
Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Bill Asbury

C34IA Fleet 12 members will be meeting for cocktails and dinner during the boat show on Friday 10/7 at 1800 hours at Adam's Ribs in Eastport.  If you are a C34 owner living in the Chesapeake Bay area but not a current member of Fleet 12 please feel free to join us Friday eve.  Please let me know if interested so I can give the restaurant a good head count.
Also FYI,  some of us will be meeting for lunch at the Fleet Reserve Club that day.
My cell is 410 353 8530.
Bill 
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

frank

14 years ago we found Spar Creek to be an adequate anchorage with dingy access at the end of most the roads leading down to the creek. In some spots one had to keep an eye out for low tides when combined with winds blowing out from the creek. Enjoy the show!  Frank & Audrey Hand, "Swan Song", Rothesay, NB Canada

Lance Jones

Come say hi at the Gill booth.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

sailingdream

Will be heading down to MD after work on the Friday from Toronto.  I will be the one with the EYC baseball cap(Club) :)