Installing heating system

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

I would like to install either Espar or Webasto heating in my C34.  I would appreciate hearing from those of you that have so that I do not have to re invent the wheel.  Appreciate your help.  Please email me: paulus@wmis.net
Cool Change 1989 #944

Michael Shaner

Paulus,

I've been contemplating diesel heaters for a couple years now myself. Seems to me the unit could be installed in the port lazarette. Drop a fuel line straight into the diesel tank below, tap into the existing duct lines (aft cabin, salon and V) and enjoy New Year's Eve on the hook!
Michael & Alison Shaner

Jack Hutteball

I have installed an Espar Hydronic system on our boat, a mark ll.  Unit is in the aft port lazerette with waterlines feeding heat exchangers in the forward, main, aft, and head cabins.  works great. Diesel comes from one of the outlets on my Racor so it is already filtered.  The Espar pump pulls it up fine with no additional lift pump needed.  Installation was simple running the water lines and installing the heat exchangers.  I also ran lines over to the area of the water heater so I can hook that into the system, but have not made that connection yet.  I have pictures of my installation if you are interested.  Buy the unit from a truck supply outfit and it will save a lot.  Manual that comes with the unit is very well done and easy to follow.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Stu Jackson

I recall that waterdog put one on his boat, using the air version.  His "trick" was running the ductwork through the head compartment underneath the mirrored door instead of trying to hide it.  A very good solution.  The port locker is THE place to put the unit, whether hot air or hydronic.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paulus

I am interested in the air version.  Would like to see some diagrams on the installation. 
Thanks
Cool Change 1989 #944

waterdog

Quote from: Stu Jackson on September 06, 2011, 10:53:11 AM
I recall that waterdog put one on his boat, using the air version.  His "trick" was running the ductwork through the head compartment underneath the mirrored door instead of trying to hide it.  A very good solution.  The port locker is THE place to put the unit, whether hot air or hydronic.

Almost.  My furnace unit is in the lazarette.  Direct tap into the diesel tank.  Exhaust goes aft through transom.   Plywood barrier (hinged) runs length of lazarett and prevents buckets or lines from melting.  Ducting runs into the head cabinet area with a two inch tee to the aft cabin.   4 inch main duct runs concealed through the head area and four inch tee serves main salon from an outlet on the bottom of the hanging locker.  The ducting runs "exposed" under the nav desk, through the upper part of the cavity on the port side seats and through the chest of drawers to an outlet that feeds vberth.  I think I rebuilt a drawer and made it a few inches shorter.  Whole boat is very cozy even in December in BC or August offshore in Oregon...
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

John Langford

I have had nothing but trouble with both the Espar Air and Hydronic systems in three different boats. They are filled with finicky sensors etc. and the repairs are not easily done by an amateur without proprietary tools and testing gear. The parts are very expensive and breakdowns are common. One repair guy said that they were designed for more refined European diesel. He recommended that I install a separate kerosene tank...just what I wanted to hear. They are very hard on your batteries unless you are plugged in (they can draw more than 5 amps per hour if you have two or three outlets) and will often fail to start if you don't run the engine to up the voltage. Finally, they take up a lot of room in the port side cockpit locker and every locker in which you locate an outlet.

I tore my last one out and installed a handsome Dickinson propane heater on the port side bulkhead in the saloon. Enough heat for most days and nights in the Pacific Northwest and little electricity draw. The bonus is that you can watch the flire behind the glass door. Very romantic! If I am at the dock a 1500 watt electrical heater does the job.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Michael Shaner

John, it is disappointing to hear or your troubles...I've been dreaming of forced air diesel heat for some time. 5 amps/hr isn't all that bad...? Fuel consumption is like .10 - .25 gal/hr? Seems reasonable to overcome frost and snow on deck...

Steve, you installed an Espar or a Webasto? Any complaints? Additionally, you diesel heater guys have to "re-winterize" the auxiliary after the sailing excursion, eh? Water tanks, water heater and head too? Sounds cumbersome for a weekend of sailing in winter...but enticing none the less!
Michael & Alison Shaner