Seahood caulk replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtydirt

Time to replace the caulking around the cover. (1996)  As I was taking out the old, on either side where the gap is wider, i notice what I call
backer rod underneath the caulk that was saturated.  Is this a speciality product or something I can pick up at HD?  Also, what do you advise for
caulk product.

Ron Hill

dirty : I don't know what you are talking about?, and I'll guess others may feel the same??

You might want to take a picture, make a diagram and/or a better verbal description.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

I have a 2001 MKll and removed and resealed my seahood 2 years ago.  I had nothing like you described.  I would think that if the gap were wide (1/4 inch or more) that some foam rope stuffed in the gap would make the job go better.  You can get that at any hardware store, near the weatherstriping.
As far as what caulk/sealer to use.  I decided on silicon, for looks and future removablity. This is one place where what the factory used didn't work well.  The original caulk shrunk and cracked, leaked a lot.  I still haven't got to resealing at the sheet boxes under the winches.  On my list.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

John Sheehan

Our 2003 MK II leaked from the start.  Finally took out all the factory caulk and resealed with Dow Corning 739.  There wasn't any filler in the gap just the not so good factory caulk that had not bonded to the sides of the gap.  One of the local boatyards recommended the 739 and it has worked well.  A couple of suggestions though.  Be sure and clean the sides of the gap, lightly sand the sides to give a better grip, wipe with Alcohol and be sure the 739 is unopened and not expired. 

John
John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL

Ken Juul

perhaps your sliding hatch feet are too narrow.  Could it be a filler to keep the hatch centered?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

From the other replies - I assume the fixed and sliding hatches are what constitutes a "Sea Hood" !??!
Ron, Apache #788

dirtydirt

thanks  for the help and suggestions.