Crossing the Columbia River Bar

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk Garner

I am moving Dixie south for the Winter and will be crossing the notorious Columbia River Bar sometime the end of this month. Any of you Pacific NW Sailors who have made that crossing with good advice for my first time would be very appreciated. They don't call it the graveyard of the Pacific for nothing.

Thanks, Kirk
Kirk Garner

Stu Jackson

Larry Brandt, on the C36 Forum, sails it often.  You'll need to sign up to their forum to read his stuff.  This is a good one, it's titled "Columbia River Bar":  http://www.c36ia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kirk Garner

Kirk Garner

Michael Shaner

Luck to ya Kirk...let us know how it goes. I'd volunteer as crew if I weren't on the other side of the continent!!
Michael & Alison Shaner

Kirk Garner

Just a follow up to my recent cruise south from the San Juans to Portland, OR (up the Columbia River). Went very well and had alot of good sailing out in the Pacific, especially at night!? Got over the Columbia bar with a pretty good flood tide several hours before the next storm came rolling in and was probably the biggest non-event of the cruise (getting out the Strait of Juan de Fuca on an Ebb-tide proved to be a worthy challenge). Coast Guard closed the bar 6 hours later to all pleasure boats under 40' and then had to rescue 3 guys who lost their boat, broke in half is what we heard? Dixie is noready for a long Winter's nap....... and she deserves one! She sailed (and motored) perfectly 373 miles, trip took 5.5 days port to port so we definitely broke no speed records.

Thanks, Kirk
Kirk Garner