Larger Holding Tank for Catalina 34 MK II

Previous topic - Next topic

cmainprize

I ordered this sensor today from Ferriello sales.  Looks like a good product and the company is fantastic to deal with.  $150.00 shipped to canada, shipping was $25.00.  Shipping is free to the US.  I will include the install pics when I put the tank in.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

tonywright

Hope that you have better luck than I did. I installed the product on my holding tank, as well as on my water tanks. Works fine on the water tanks (OK, it's intermittent on one of them), but I could not get it to provide a reliable reading for the holding tank: gave a "full" reading when it was still half empty. Despite Dennis's best support efforts (and he gave me a lot), we could not get it to work. In the end it was conceded that in my case a different kind of sensor might be best. See http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5123.0.html. Uses the same display, but measures the level much more reliably.

I am following your project with interest. If it works I will do something similar.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Trillium

Have you actually fitted a larger tank over the winter?  I found out how little the 34 Mk II tank is in a  very messy way  Have yo considered using your macerator as an emergency bilge pump - much higher capacity that many standard pumps?

cmainprize

My new tank is still in my garage, I have been away for two weeks but plan to get the tank in next week.  My boat does not have a macerator, it never did have one installed or have the through hull in the starboard locker with the tank like many of the mk11's did.  I will post the pic's of the installed tank, new hoses, vent, and tank monitor when it done including any other info I think members might need if they are considering something like this.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

cmainprize

Whoops. I meant to say port locker/under settee where the holding tank is.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

cmainprize

So the new tank is finally in and hooked up.  My original plan to was to not modify the opening but I went for a little more tank capacity and had to increase the length of the opening about 4 inches.  I made the cut in one shot and intend to put the piece back in by screwing a piece of 1/4 aluminum plate to the seat under the cut out piece, then screw the cut out piece to the plate.  I will fill the gap will silicone so I can get the piece out if I need to.  I don't think the tank could have been any bigger in any direction and still been able to get the fittings on.
I ran the vent line to the original location into the stanchion.  I may change this later but we go into the water next week and I wanted to get this project wrapped up.  We also added a tank monitor.  I will fill the tank with clean water tommorrow via the vent. let it sit for a week and check for leaks.  I think I mentioned in a earlier post the new tank holds 28 gallons, the old tank held 15 gallons.  I measured each tank twice using a bucket.  Originally the VHF cable, wind transducer cable and one other wire were run across the bottom of this locker as well.  I moved all the wires up under the lip to get them out of the way.  The tank sits very well against the hull and seems to be well supported.  The tank does have some movement fore and aft but I will add some blocks to eliminate that.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

cmainprize

Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

cmainprize

Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Fred Koehlmann

Cory,
Looks good! I'll be heading up shortly today, with my tank, but whon't be getting in today. Today is for removing the winter cover and having Shane review the spots that need some repairs. It's still too cold to do the fiberglassing, but I might think about cutting out the through-hull for the macerator. We'll see hoe the day goes. Maybe I'll see you up there.
Cheers, Fred.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine