Previous owners of Catalinas/ 25

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

My son wants to buy a towable C-25.  Does anyone have experience with towing and size of vehicle?
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Michael Shaner

Paul, there are a lot of variables to consider (towing how far, over what terrain, how often, etc.). If the answer to even one of those questions is " > 30 miles", "mountainous or interstate travel" or "more than once a month" I'd say a 3/4 ton truck is certainly desireable. I think the folks over at the C25 Association will agree. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it with less...   
Michael & Alison Shaner

hinmo

I am a past owner of a fin keel Cat25. As a member of the "25" forum, I "hosted" a couple from the mid west when they visited New England towing their Cat25. They had a medium sized SUV (Explorer I think). I can see if he minds me forwarding his email to you....will get back to you.

http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=3146
Kestrel, 1989

Ted Pounds

I first towed my C25 with a Ford F-150 4x4.  No problems at all.  Towed it from Oscoda, MI to Plattsburgh, NY.  After the kids showed up we traded the F-150 for a Jeep Cherokee.  The Cherokee was OK for hauling and launching and short trips to the storage lot.  But the wheelbase was too short for high-speed towing; over 45mph and it got real squirrely. 
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

John Sheehan

Paulus,

We towed our '85' swing keel Catalina 25 many miles with our full size 4x4 Chevy Blazer.  If possible get at least a 3/4 ton 4x4 long wheel base truck.  Our boat and trailer combined weighed out at 7200 lbs.  The Blazer would do the job but it was maxed out.  4x4 is very useful for getting up grassy / slimy boat ramps with the four wheel low range so there is little effort.  Watch the tongue weight.  We had to have more then the usual 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue to keep the trailer steady.  Still you will find 55-60 mph is about all you want to go.  Depending on the keel type you will need an extension for the tongue at most ramps. For the swing and wing keels there are sliding extensions available that work well.  However, for a full keel you will need to have some sort of wheel system on the tongue and a long cable to ease the boat down the ramp and pull it out.

John
John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL

Paulus

Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

You might get a wider audience and better responses if you asked on the Catalina 25 website.  Those guys know their stuff about their boats.

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

Quote from: Paulus on September 16, 2011, 08:05:09 AM
How about a Toyota, V-6 Forerunner?

I have 4Runner and I think it has about the same capabilities as my old Cherokee.  That is to say it will OK for hauling and launching (the trailer needs to have a tongue extension BTW) but only good for traveling short distances at moderate speeds.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447