Counter tops...

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

The Admiral is interested in tiling the counter tops on Kitty's Cat. Anyone have experience doing this?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Roc

Lance,
Have you considered the added weight that would cause?
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Rick Johnson

I thought about it, but decided it was just too much weight.  Same reason I gave up on the granite counter tops.  Have you thought about Corian?

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Stu Jackson

It may not be so much the weight, but the thickness.  Consider the fiddles and the interface at the sink.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

pablosgirl

Lance,

I would also consider the maintenance issue with tile.  I had tile counter tops in one of our past houses and they were a pain to keep clean.  All those groves to fill with food and had to periodically reseal the grout to prevent it from discoloring.  Also, you will need to consider what you will do when a tile cracks or the boat flexes and pops the tile loose from its plywood base.

I personally would not do this upgrade. but your boat your choice.

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Lance Jones

Thanks for the responses  :thumb:. Weight isn't really an issue as we ARE cruisers only (That's why I have a Hobie 16 -- go fast boat). The other points as to maintenance, snap, cracking and pop have been forwarded to the Admiral in a suitable, 5 paragraph operations order.... I'm waiting for the counter-battery fire.....
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Jim Hardesty

Lance,
Am I correct that you have formica counter tops?  If so may I share what I did on my previous boat, a 1979 S2, with burnt orange counters.  I found that they make paint for formica that works very well. I would have done that, but decided to redo the icebox lid and the cover for the stove.  So I removed the old formica and put on new.  It wasn't difficult, just careful fitting before gluing.  It came out very well. And best of all, I no longer got  "O look at the orange counter tops"
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ken Juul

I think a solution that might work is to inlay the tiles into you existing counter top. Power point doesn't have a tile pattern so I substituted marble.  This would help reduce the weight and keep the tiled area small enough that cracking from flexing probably will not occur.  Another option might be tile on one side and an inlaid chopping block on the other.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

scotty

Formica is really easy to work with, and comes in many styles, patterns and colors.  It is flexible and has the same dimensions as original.  I would look at this option (except I like my white counter-tops).  It's fun to see how each person does different upgrades!
Scotty

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ken Juul on September 13, 2011, 07:31:42 AM
I think a solution that might work is to inlay the tiles into you existing counter top. Power point doesn't have a tile pattern so I substituted marble.  This would help reduce the weight and keep the tiled area small enough that cracking from flexing probably will not occur.  Another option might be tile on one side and an inlaid chopping block on the other.

Great idea, Ken.  I don't know if there's tile thin enough, but if there is, Lance could just surface mount it, too.  That'd be hard to do with any chopping block, though.  Nice illustration.  Hope we don't get Kitty hooked on the marble, for Lance's sake!   :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Lance : The first thing that you are going to have to do (I'm guessing) is to remove the old formica as I'm not too sure that any tile adhesive will stick to formica !?!

You should remember that a Boat FLEXES !! and needs to flex !

If you have already pulled the sink to remove the old formica, you have a great pattern for some new formica or you could go for Corian like the MkIIs have.
A Corian Top will require a new under the counter top mounted sink.  
A deeper sink may be why Gerry Douglas moved the waterheater location in the MKII ??

You might want to point some of this stuff out to the Admiral.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

You don't have to remove old Formica.   

Remove the countertop.   Hit the old Formica with a belt sander.   Cut out the new Formica half inch oversize.   Contact cement on both surfaces.   Position new top with scraps of Formica as spacers.  Pull the spacers.   Press in place.   Roll it.  Trim flush with a flush trim router bit.   Reinstall.    It's a two to three hour job including installation.     Much faster, cleaner, lighter, cheaper than tile.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ken Juul

I am guessing the particle board under the formica is probably 1/2-5/8".  Most tile is aprox 1/4".  My plan would entail routing through the formica and into the particle board so that the tiles are slightly elevated over the formica surface.  Should be plenty of strenght left in the particle board to support this.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

paule

Lance,
I would go to home depot and check out some of the products that they have to replace the counter top. Another idea is call the factory and see what they might have hanging around for the c34.

As to the tile I agree with Ron the boat will flex and crack the tile and grout, and the weight issue are you racing.

See you you in Annapolis you now where I'll be. :thumb:

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Lance Jones

No Paul, where will you be? Hey, do you have anymore of the L/S Catalina Yachts (Est 1969) left?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622