Plexiglass Replacement for opening Ports

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Berman

I'm thinking about replacing the 6 plexiglass pieces opening ports (in my 1987 C34).  they measure 12 1/8 x 5 1/8 and are 5/16th" thick.  the ports don't leak, but the glass has the standard "cracking" you see on older boats.  Does anyone have a source or a suggestion on where I might find replacements.  The frames, hinges, and locking mechanisms all look good.
Rick Berman on the Tula, Puget Sound (Hull 484, M25-XP)

Ron Hill

Rick : I believe that your side ports are Lewmar. If the outside is an aluminum band (rather than a white plastic with 2 drip edges on the bottom of Bomar) - you have Lewmar side ports.  

I'd contact Hatchmasters (Select Plastics) for a replacement (877)874-3767.  
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

Of the six side ports on my boat, two are very badly crazed, actually scary bad.  The other four are in very good condition just a few small crazes (sp).  The two bad ones are a greyish tint. The four good ones have a purple tint.  I've often wondered if the tint of the plastic made a difference or if the plastic formula itself is a differnet type.  I bought the boat new so i know none have been replaced.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Aldo : It sounds like the Catalina factory gave you a mixed bag of colored lenses.

On my 1988 (like yours) I have all 6 Lewmar hatches tinted gray.  The ones predominately in the sun are crazed while the others are not that bad!
Ron, Apache #788

Rick Berman

Jim Hardesty

Rick,
I know that this isn't what you asked, but, I would look real close at the frames (if they are plastic) and think about replacing the entire port.  20+ year old plastic is probably brittle.  Also, the way parts are priced, it may not cost much more.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

noworries

Let us know how much you pay... they are on my list... but it's a long list.

I also remember reading you can take them to a glass shop and have them cut... not sure if it's cheaper that way or not.
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Ken Juul

+1 for Select Plastics.  They make an excellent product.  If I remember correctly they supplied new o rings for the latches, may want to ask if they still do this.  The wait wasn't that bad, think it was about 6 or 7 days.  Ordered them on a Monday or Tuesday, put them in 2 weekends later.

http://www.hatchmasters.com/index.php?cPath=205&osCsid=145010ba61f8080b4d8a2043ce3761ab
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Rick Johnson

I've been happy with this product.  Only bought 1 so far (to replace a damaged lens) but they were cheaper than my local plastic shop and fit perfectly.  I plan on buying 5 more and replacing them all.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1447&ParentCat=449

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Tom Glennon

I replaced mine on my '87  the company was in CT.

I will get the info and post it later today for you.

Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Tom Glennon

The company I used is a LEwmar authorized vendor:
Select Plastics, 219 Liberty Square, Norwalk, CT 06855  (203) 866-3767 I spoke with "Tony", who was very familiar with these smoked replacements
The ports measure: 12 3/16" W x 5 3/16" H and came all pre-drilled.  Was a very simple swap-out.  I purchased these quite a while ago, and I believe they can to $260 for the 6.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Ron Hill

Guys : If you are going to replace the side port lens, also order a gasket from Defender.  The gaskets are about $15.
Then that port can go another 20 years.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Michael Shaner

QuoteGuys : If you are going to replace the side port lens, also order a gasket from Defender.  The gaskets are about $15.

Mr. Hill, the gasket is an integral part of my lenses (or stuck with some wicked good adhesive)...the aluminum frame the gasket mates to is smooth...I'm confused... :think
Michael & Alison Shaner

Ron Hill

Michael : If the gasket is an integral part of the lens -- then you do not have either a Lewmar or a Bomar side port opening hatch!

The Lewmar gasket is pressed into the inside frame and the Bomar gasket is part of the inside screen!!   
Ron, Apache #788

Rick Berman

thanks y'all for all your advice.  I ended up buying clear from Select Plastics/Hatchmasters for $29.95 each.  They arrive next week.  Rick