Catalina 385

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay Greene

1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Stu Jackson

The interior layout is like the C375.  I didn't compare the specs, but I'm sure someone will. 8)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

MikeinLA

This was posted on the Cat 36 forum....

"From the 320 Association website,

"I just returned from the factory in Largo - the 309, 320,350, 375, 387, 400, and the 420 have been discontinued. The lineup will be: 315 , 355, 385, 445.
It could be that a unit larger than the 445 will happen as well in the next year or so."

Mike

Roc

This seems odd.  It appears that Catalina hasn't thought out long term plans.  the 375 was just introduced not that long ago, and based on the 'numerical naming' of the boat (i.e. ending with "5"), it matches up with the latest line up of 355, 445, etc.  I'm surprised to find the 375 going under.  I can see the 320, that has been around awhile and we heard about the demise of the 350.  Also, looks like a big gap that seems to be filled between the 315 and 355.  I figured the 385 would replace the 387, since that fills the 38 foot slot.

For years, Catalina revisions were evolutionary, whereas Hunter would come up with a model and a couple years later it was gone.  Catalina is starting to jump around like that.  I think this makes it hard for owner associations for a particular model since they don't stick around for all too long.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ken Juul

I'm sure Catalina has done their market research.  Boats to fill the low 30', mid 30', upper 30' and low/mid 40' ranges.  Nothing lost by not making a boat under 30,  I think a large majority of the folks buying boats that size are beginners, and are probably shopping for a used boat.  With the unsettled ecomony, holding the number of models down is probably a good idea.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Dave DeAre

I talked to Sail Place (Chicago area Catalina dealer) about this and was advised that the 309 will now be called 315 and the 375 will be the 385. Apparently Catalina is doing this to reflect the total boat length as competitors do. I believe the 315 and 385 will not be all new boats, just variations on the 309 & 375.
Overdue
2002 34, roller main, tall rig
Burnham Harbor, Chicago

Roc

If they're just calling the boats the lengths that they really are, why didn't they do that in the first place?  Like the 380 that became the "390" for some reason....then disappeared.  In looking at the specs of the 385 vs. the 387, the 385 is way lighter.  Now it makes sense, just a rebranded 375.

Clay Greene

A dealer explained to me that Catalina changed the numbering because they thought branding the boats by their length on deck was a disadvantage compared to Hunter and Beneteau, which brand their boats based on LOA including the bow and stern rails.

I am glad I bought a Catalina 34 for many reasons, one of which is that we convinced the marina that we could fit in a 35 foot slip even though in reality we overhang by six inches.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Roc

Actually, I would rather have the boat defined by it's true length, and it sounds like Catalina did just that.  Sad to say they would move toward the more deceptive way of defining length.

Stu Jackson

What difference does it make?  Specs are still specs.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."