solar panels

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulvio

Does anyone have experience with solar panels?
I'd love to hear any information you may have.

I saw a boat (not a Catalina) on my pier that had two fairly long panels, mounted to each side of the cockpit, and it seems to be the best place on a C34.  I don't have a bimini or davits.  That would require moving the lifeline-"gates" to midships.
There is this company that sells panels and stanchion mounting hardware, and it looks interesting to me:

e-Marine boat mounting kits for solar panels

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

jentine

I have a solar charging system aboard my vessel.  I use three solar panels. One is mounted on the dodger, one on the davits and a flexible panel forward of the dodger on the deck.  These three panels supply power for house and auxillary starting battery.  The flexible panel is used for the starting system.
The other two panels are made by Kyocera and produce 200 watts combined.  They are controlled by a Trace controller to four golf cart batteries for the house.
The solar panels give us freedom from docks and power lines.  We also do not need a high power alternator.  
The source you indicated in your message is very interesting, but their prices for panels is out of line with realistic pricing.  Look at http://www.windsun.com/pv_stuff/Solar_Panel_PDF.htm.  You will find their pricing more in line with reality.  They have a great deal of experince with solar and wind power.
Jim Kane

tassber2

One thing to consider is how much sunshine you get in Seattle and how many amps you will put back into your batteries in full sun  and on cloudy days.

Mike
1996 MkII #1321

vmenasce

I bought a single 64 watt Unisolar Amorphous Silicon panel. It has slightly lower efficiency than monocrystaline panels. However, it is more resilient to mechanical impacts (important on a boat). It is also tolerant of partial shade. I am also using a 50A battery combiner which is connected to the charge controller. When the sun is out, the two battery banks are combined into a single bank. Otherwise they are isolated.

I mounted it on davits. However, two panels half the size could be easily mounted on top of the dodger. One of them would be in partial shade much of the time.

I am using a Morningstar charge controller. It is excellent. The controller is mounted under the sink in the galley and the wiring is drilled through to the battery box. Make sure you protect the charge controller and wiring from any potential water leaks that may occur under the sink.

I find that I never need shore power unless I need to plug in a heater. We spent three weeks on board this summer. Occasional motoring combined with the solar panel permitted us to run refrigeration about 80% of the time. If you are just weekend sailing, the week of charging is more than enough to ensure you are full by the weekend.

amoreau

Hi,  I don't pretend to know that much about solar but wouldn't you get more bang for the buck with a wind generator.  At least you wouldn't have to worry about the sun.
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

Fulvio

I was talking about this last night on the pier with another boater who installs these systems for others.  He said that due to the cubic curve of wind energy conversion, you don't get much current from a windmill until it's really blowing.  And by then it's so loud that it's like having an airplane engine next to your ear.

Slight exaggeration, I'm sure, but it's probably a factor to consider.

To answer a previous question, I'm planning to use it further south (Mexico).  I'm not so concerned about the sun in Seattle.

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

captran

I have a single unisolar 32.  it measures about 15" wide and about 4 to 5 feet long.  It sits on the bimini.  I use he boat 2 months a year in the bahamas, so sun is not a problem.  the fridge does run quite a bit down there and thats my main power drawdown. stock charger on the motor, with a battery combiner and link 20 monitoring system which is quite nice.  I still need to run the engine an average of 2 hours a day which keeps me ahead of the curve.  I spent 7 years cruising the northwest, with a different boat without all the goodies  (fridge, ect).  I would imagine theres alot less power needed for the fridge with the cooler climate, and it seems like summer cruising entails alot of motor sailing anyway.  You don't have a bimini????  I'd get that before I'd invest in a solar panel.

Stu Jackson

Randy

I understand your setup.  Do you have a newer regulator for your alternator?  What alternator do you have?  How do you max out the output of the alternator to reduce engine operating time for charging (since the original boats had the standard automotive, and, therefore, useless, regulators)?  No wonder you need to run the engine two hours a day, if you don't have a newer regulator.  

If I guess correctly, one of the best things you could to is to "simply"  :eek: add a new regulator to reduce engine running time.  We have an old manual AutoMac, which I learned to use without harming the batteries - does the same thing as the new smart regulators do, but I do have to control it carefully.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

captran

Here's where I get to show my ignorance.  I'm not sure what I have.  It's just the standard/stock alternator/regualtor that comes on the 97 model.  Oh, how I wish I weren't 3000 miles away.  The projects I could do!  Actually, I am thinking of having Voyager trucked to the Northwest when I've had my fill of the Bahamas (or if another tropical storm kicks my butt!).  Then I could drive to the coast in 5 hours and do all the projects that beckon.  Thanks for the advice.