Propane Refit

Previous topic - Next topic

billhatter

The solenoid went out on my propane system this past weekend. Searching through West Marine I see that Seaward make a LPG Locker Kit with Solenoid.  Since my boat is a 1987 Catalina 34, I'm seriously considering replacing the entire system based on the age. Has anyone used the Seaward Locker Kit?  I also saw that Ron Hill had inquired about the length of hose that leads from the locker to the stove.  Is it 15 feet or 20feet?  Also, is there a better resource other than West Marine?

Bill Hatter
Hull #459
Bill Hatter
Proud Mary
Hull #459

Ken Juul

Not sure but perhaps an RV parts store.  Could also try the factory.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ralph Masters

Bill,
If you get one of the lockers from West Marine let me know if you can get it into the aft lazzert.  I too have an 87 and am looking at building my own, as Ron hill did.

Thanks,

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Bill : Look in projects and you'll find how I made a new propane locker for a 10/11 lb bottle - easy to do.

Never got a good answer on the length of the propane hose from the locker to the stove on a MK I.  Haven't done that yet, but I will and I'll send you the exact length when I do. 
The people on this web site that have done that task say it's about 15 to 20 ft long.  Hard to believe that those master mechanics can't get the length a bit closer!! - guess they had someone else do the work for them and don't really know!!   :shock:
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Ron,
Buying long is a lot easier to install then buying short.  The old, " I've cut it off two times and it's still too short" is a hard lesson.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Meerkata

Has anyone built a propane locker? I have a friend with a Cat 30 who needs one for a 10 pound bottle. WestMArine is like $400 too much.
Jim-of-Meerkat

John Langford

I am not sure buying "long" is even a good second best strategy with propane hose. Coiling up extra hose can lead to a liquid build up in the coils which eventually will impede flow of gas.  If you go long and then decide to reduce the length after installation, you have to bring the hose back to the propane shop to have a new end fitting put on. On the MK II it isn't that hard to measure the distance as the hose goes through a PVC pipe that is glassed along the hull. I recommend using a heavy wire to measure the size exactly.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Ralph Masters

Jim,
Search for and read Ron Hill's article on building the propane box.  Very good read.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Stu Jackson

It's in Projects, which you can find via the wiki or the earlier sticky topic on "Too Much Information" --- consider the alternative.  :D

http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-propane-storage.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mel low

Well I am right in the final stages of finishing a change out of CNG to propane. I am leaving for Alaska in May and my 34 had CNG, which is hard to obtain. I did not want to give up access to the rear lazarette. So I decided to build my own 3/4 inch plywood locker. I fiberglassed the outside and coated the inside with resin. I installed the box in the rear lazarette on the starboard side.I am using a 2 1/2 gallon stubby bottle. The locker is a side load with heavy foam gasket. It will be vented out bottom of the box through the transom. I purchased 17 feet of LPG hose.

Ron Hill

Mel : You will probably need 2 vents one on the bottom for the propane to "fall out" and one near the top for the air to come in.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

Actually since propane is a gas you only need the bottom vent.  Air can go up the vent as the propane goes down (unlike water or some other liquid).  For more info on propane locker requirements see http://www.abycinc.org/committees/A-01.pdf
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ralph Masters

Ted,
Thank you for the posting of the specs on the storage locker.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987