New seals for V-berth hatch

Previous topic - Next topic

lazybone

Anyone know where I can get a replacement seal.  I think it's a Bomar Nibo but I'm not sure.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Ciao : You are correct the 1987 C34s have a Bomar Vberth hatch.

You can try Bomar (603)826-5791 or Select Plastics (877)874-3767 for a new gasket.   
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

Thanks Ron,  I found this page which list the parts which are hopefully still available...  will know on monday.

http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.nsf/731d6514ff5a8481852567be000745b2/751bb433eae55189852567c8006b12ea?OpenDocument
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stephen Butler

Ron, did CY use the same hatch for its 1990's?  Checking the hatch frame, there are no numbers or orther identifiers.  We need a new lens and hinges that include the built-in "hold-open" latches.  I will call CY and Bomar on Tuesday, but would like to have more info if at all possible.  Many thanks.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ron Hill

Steve : From 1988 on Catalina used Lewmar Vberth hatches of a couple differant models. 
The worst model was in 1988 and for a few years after that - it was called the "Roll Stop".   It wouldn't stay stopped in any of the positions. 
That's when the hatch "stick" was invented by C34/C36 owners.  It was propped up in the Vberth to keep the hatch up.

I've made my last rollstop repair kit work for the last 2 years.  Before that I've installed 6 or 8 hinge repair kits!!!

The trick so far is to NEVER let the hatch in any other position than FULLY closed/straight out/at 45 degrees or straight up. Keep the roll stop mechanism greased.       A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stephen Butler

Thanks Ron.  Now we have a starting point for the lens search.  As for the hinges, think we will install a hatch stick and forget the roll stop. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Michael Shaner

Lazybone,

I just replaced the forward V hatch seal on our '87 with this gasketing from Catalina Direct...it appears to be a direct replacement if you still have the solid hatch...

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=50&ParentCat=469

Michael & Alison Shaner

Steve W10

Guys sorry to resurface this old thread, but I don't think a final, concise answer was given for this generation C-34.  And... I'm having a devil of a time finding out which is the correct gasket for my hatch as well.
Of course I also saw this thread... http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3676.0.html but still not sure of which gasket.  And checked Wiki.

I have Hull 625 (1988) with what I now believe to be a Bomar 1000 Low Profile Extruded Aluminum Trapazoidal V-Berth Hatch.  See image.

So as not to waist $60 on the wrong gasket, I just picked up one foot of P2000-26 gasket which looked most like the one I currently have (reference the Pompanette site... http://www.pompanette.com/pomp.nsf/0/3149BC3194C7E1F98525762400165D96?Open) from a local Chandlery to check it out.
Turns out it's quite big and appears to be neoprene vice what I suspect was originally rubber.
See image

Spoke to a girl at Pompanette and she mentioned that the low and high profile gaskets were the same shape, they differ only in size.  In the image from the link, "G" is supposedly the low profile gasket, but it is clearly rounded, unlike the one I pulled off my boat (that's why I went with the high profile version initially).

Catalina Direct doesn't seem very well informed (granted I didn't get to talk to their technical support guys who are not in today, only retail) and they quoted part numbers completely different; 1094 and 1094ax for the Bomar Nimo gaskets.
But the image of their part does look suspiciously like the P2000-25 (Low Profile) from the Pompanette site.

Can anyone please provide some insight here?  I suspect that the previous owner may have replaced the gasket with an incorrect one, but have no way of telling for sure.  And, although I know these materials do shrink over time, that's a whole bunch of shrinking!

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Roc

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Steve : Looking at your hatch I believe yours is a Lewmar NOT a Bomar hatch.  
If you have an adjusting arm on the inside its a BOMAR.  (See my post above)

Go to Hatch masters and see about a new gasket, I believe they service Lewmar and Bomar!?  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Steve W10

Interesting Ron, maybe I've had it wrong all along.

This is from the inside.

Steve McGill

Steve,

I have the same hatch as yourself, both the inside and outside pics confirm it.
The metal tape tag on my frame shows Bomar with the number 86026787 on it.

I purchased the P2000-26 from Hamilton marine last fall. I plan to install within the next month,
time will tell if the high or low profile is the preferred size. As you can see our hull numbers are close.

Best of luck,

Steve M.
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Steve W10

Hey Steve, thanks for your help there, I wasn't at my boat until yesterday so the serial number really helped.  I did check mine yesterday and it's  Bomar 86022274.

Unfortunately I think you have the incorrect gasket; apparently we have the Low Profile hatch.

Once I get the correct gasket (which I just ordered) I'll update this and complete a TechWiki to post with some useful information.

Bottom line, with that hatch we need the P2000-25 gasket for 3/8" acrylic and apparently if you're using the 1/4" acrylic it would be the P2000-09, which has a thicker mounting surface to keep the acrylic flush.

Will update early next week.

Steve

Steve W10

Sorry for not adding this earlier but I did submit a tech note for consideration for MainSheet on the subject.

Bottom line is that for this particular hatch, the Correct Replacement is the P2000-25, regardless of lens thickness.

If they don't publish the tech note, I'll put it in a tech wiki later.

Steve

Steve McGill

Steve,

I fully agree, after trying the thicker (more is better)  P2000-26 I had to bite the bullet and purchase the CORRECT model # P2000-25.
The picture you have shows a slightly different design than mine; yours shows a tail of sorts in the upper right as you are holding
them. When did you purchase yours?

Thanks,

Steve M,
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD