Mast boot is beat...

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Shaner

Guys and Susan... (had to do it...)

I'm not ready to pull the stick anytime soon so the one piece molded boot from Catalina Direct appears out of the question...anybody have a good, warm, fuzzy experience / recommended product for a replacement mast boot? Of course I'd love to hear the "what not to buy" stories too...

Regards!
Michael & Alison Shaner

Lance Jones

Don't rule it out. I got one, split it on the aft end, installed it and sealed the split. It's been on there 3 years now with no problems. :thumb:
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

kurt

My rigger who was tuning my rig used some black rigging tape (self-amalgamating) to replace my uv damaged mast boot.

I had previously ordered the below and never got around to using it - if interested I would ship it out for nominal fee...  Just email if interested...

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|319697|311636|312066&id=75482

Kurt

Ken Juul

If it is not yet leaking, just getting degraded by UV, pull out the Sailrite machine and sew a sunbrella cover with elastic draw strings top and bottom.

If leaking, riggers tape or a self sealing silicone tape can be used until you pull the stick.  The silicone tape can be found in WalMart, Ace, WM, auto parts stores.  One brand name is "Rescue Tape"  supposely strong enough to seal a hole in a radiator hose.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

One of the first things we did when we bought Aquavite in 1998 was to follow Ron Hill's advice and make a Sunbrella cover.  The OEM mast boot's still there.  You really don't need a wrap around boot.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Terry Forshier

I bought some silicon self adhearing tape. (like plumbers under sinks on pvc) I found it on ebay but I think even wal mart sells it. I used the 1.5 inch wide tape and wrapped it around the mast. It sticks to itself so seals fine.  Last I looked someone was selling this on ebay as mast boot tape and it was in 4" wide strips. This has worked for me for years. easy, cheap

Ron Hill

Michael : You can use the suggestions of tape, caulk even electric glue.  Then make a cover ( I even listed the dimensions in the Mainsheet tech notes) out of Sunbrella to cover the patch job up!

The Only people that will know, will be you and the hundreds that look at this web site!!  Smile!!  :D

Ron, Apache #788

Michael Shaner

I cannot say with any degree of certainty that my mast boot is original. Chatting with others however, I think mine is peculiar. It is made of what appears to be hypalon...same stuff as the everyday average inflatable dink...and it is one piece. The PO even made a nice sunbrella cover to make it aesthetically pleasing...apparently too late though. The UV has eaten away the flexible coating...the rubber coating is cracked and peels right off. I'm looking at fabric...which is leaking like a sieve...

Kurt, thanks for the offer. Have the clamps that go with it by chance?

Lance, you did what CD tech support says can't be done...you go dude!  :donno: 8)

Thanks for the insight folks...
Michael & Alison Shaner

kurt

Hi Michael,
Yes, I have the clamps too.  (I must of ordered this from Catalina Direct as the box has C-34/C-36 part coded on it and the clamps were included...)
Just email if interested.
Kurt

Vic Suben

:clap Has anyone tried Spartite?  If so, how did it work out?
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Stu Jackson

Vic, why not type "spartite" into the search box.  Why?  There could be a lot of posts on it (21), and people may not look at your question or this message board every day to be able to respond.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."