Neat things you should have on the boat

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

About a year ago I had an article in the Mainsheet by the same title.  Time to add something new.

I really don't like spending $4-5 a can for air refills for the horn.  But until recently had not found a suitable substitute.  I was helping a friend reposition her boat, we were getting into traffic, so she pulled out this plastic contraption.  She put it to her lips and gave it a blow.  I about jumped out of my skin...how does that thing make that much noise!

There are several different manufacturers, according to the websites, the Safety Blaster Horn puts out at least 120db and can be heard over a mile a way.  Meet USCG regs, floats and does not rust.  West Marine no longer carries them, might be available at Bass Pro Shops.  Easiest to order on line.  Depending on brand price is $7-15.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

noworries

Does it sound like a duck?  I'd love to see a youtube video of one in action!
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Jim Hardesty

Ken,
I bought one years ago, before they were banned at boat shows.  They are LOUD.  I don't use it, my hearing is damaged enough.  Good discussion point, sailboat horns are lacking.  My yacht club has a rule, a good one, to sound a horn on entering or leaving the channel.  I've used up to 4 air cans a season.  I now use a small electronic horn on slow traffic days and the air can horn on busy days.  It works, but, one more thing to clutter the cockpit.
Horns are one thing that are better on power boats. Sure would be nice to have a fixed one.  Has anybody done that?
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

We've had one for years.  Great thing.  Lives in the starboard cockpit coaming.  Got tired of the air horn refils, rust, etc.  Tried one of those refillable jobs - didn't work. 

It's easy to reach and for the few times we use it, the price sure is right.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ralph Masters

Ken,
Good info.  I too have mucked about with the air horns and am not really satisfied.  Have to pick one of these little gems up and give it whirle.
The note about sounding a horn going into or out of the marina is a good idea, we have almost a blind channel going into ours with the break waters on either side.  And just past the channel heading out is a public launch ramp, of course most of the idiots on jet skies won't know what the horn is for or heed it any way.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Kevin Henderson

I'm going to have to find one of these blaster horns.  I came very very close to purchasing one of those "refillable with a tire pump" type of horns the other day.  I'm glad I didn't after hearing of someone that has used one.

On another note... this is a great topic to find out about all those nifty little things that everybody uses on their boats.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ken Juul

The original article broken into pieces due to size.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

Damn Ken, you just made me order 2 of the lights. They're $5.99 each AND free shipping!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Jim Hardesty

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat