Birthday Sail

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Hello all: this video was taken by one of my three sons. All three are aboard a Pearson Commander recently restored and we are out for a birthday sail (race) !! Winds are about 25knots with higher gusts.

One of the great joys of a lifetime of sailing for me and my wife has been watching, sharing and helping our sons as they continue to enjoy sailing. Kegan, the Commander owner, and the youngest, will have a restoration project published in "Good Old Boat" in January.

http://vimeo.com/28037341

Gary Ambrose
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Ralph Masters

Very nice video, thanks for sharing.  The one thing I really noticed was the short period of the waves.  Pretty high for such a short period, I'd bet beating back up is a realy chore.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Gary

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for your kind response. We were sailing in Casco Bay near Fort Gorges. At the end of the video we were just entering Diamond Pass, a narrow but protected by island passage, so we were in flat water with light winds. After leaving Diamond Pass we did encounter similar waves and we let out some jib to help with beating close hauled back to our mooring. All went well. The C34 water line length flattens that short chop very well. Just a great vessel ! I wanted to share the video, yes because of the family part but also because we don't often see video of a C34 moving easily through the water close up I was impressed at the way the C34 looks under less than ideal conditions.

Good luck and best wishes to all entering this difficult weather period on the east coast !!

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

scotty

Happy Birthday!!    :appl Our boats look so much alike - if I change the sail number, I just might tell people it was us!!  OK, not really.  Thanks for sharing. I've got a big grin watching you guys go.  It was interesting that the youger fellows looked all athletic as the boat moved around all actively, while the Catalina 34 looked so steady.  Wow, you looked awesome!!!!!!! :clap
Scotty

Gary

Thanks Scotty !!  The guys are on a Pearson Commander (1964 vintage) which is a 26 foot boat. I can remember the days in smaller boats and I am so grateful to have the 34. It is such a stable platform. Kegan was flying just his main as that was all the Commander could handle. We also carried just the main so we would be closer to the same speed. At 25 knots we could easily let out some jib and we would have just accelerated. But, I think that might have made the after sailing gathering less celebratory.......we did have a lot of fun, and everyone was grinning afterward.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Stu Jackson

Gary, nice video.  #214, one hull older than yours, is right here on San Francisco Bay and a member of our Fleet 1.

Did you replace the solid forward hatch with a "look thru?"
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gary

Hi Stu,

Thanks very much...the video was fun to share. A memorable day with family !

We have had #215 eight years and somewhere in it's previous ownership the solid hatch was changed out for the dark Lexan. It is nice to have the light forward.

Sorry for the late response...we just now have power after Irene. Kije survived well on our mooring in Falmouth, Me. We are grateful.....

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME