Hood Seafurl 3250 line replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod Caines

I have an old but otherwise functional Hood 3250 and cannot figure out how to replace the line.  (old line snapped on Saturday) Very little detail found on the older system searching the internet the past 2 nights.  Would anyone happen to have an old manual or schematic?

Thanks
Rodney Caines
1987 C-34 Sail La Vie
S/N 352

Ron Hill

Rod : Call Hood (603)826-4117 as you have a system that is not standard to the C34.  I'm sure that they can help you out. 
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

Found on a sailnet post about the same subject.
\
"I discovered that the line feeds through the eye, makes a 90 degree turn, and exits the bottom of the drum through 1 of 4 small holes where it is fitted with a retainer. So no need to disassemble anything."

Think I would attach a tack line to the old line before pulling it out to make feeding the new line in easier. 

There were also several comments about decoring the first 1-20 feet of the furling line to reduce the size of the wrap. If I remember correctly, decoring reduces the strength by about 1/2.  3/8" double braid has a breaking strength of about 7000#, half of that is more than enough to furl the sail.

Sampson and New England ropes both have good websites that explain how to decore.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Rather than decoring, could you just use a smaller diameter line?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Rod Caines

All good stuff.

Ron, I tried Hood early today but was cut off while waiting to be transferred.  I will try again when I get time.
Ken, I found that thread on sailnet.  I could not get the line out through the base of the drum. If I only had a schematic.
Mike/Joanne,  You are spot on.  Already purchase a smaller diameter line.  Just need to figure out how to get the old one out.  (side note:  As a newbie here myself and a new C34 owner earlier this summer I will welcome Gary, Mary and Mariposa del Mar with open arms.)   Best wishes with your next adventure.

RC
Rodney Caines
1987 C-34 Sail La Vie
S/N 352

Ron Hill

Rod : Don't know what size line you purchased, but don't go below 3/8" as it's too hard to grip. 
A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Rod Caines

Too late Ron.  I grabbed 75' of 1/4" Sta-set Sunday morning prior to heading to the boat.  I flew many kites in my youth on monofilamnent so I'm hoping 1/4" double braid on what should be a properly working furling system isn't too uncomfortable.  If and when I get I the quarter inch in place it still looks like there is room for more line I just might might up to 3/8" or even go for some length of cored line.  Just don't know if I'm a fan of cored rope yet or not.
Rodney Caines
1987 C-34 Sail La Vie
S/N 352

Ken Juul

From the Hood web site:
Introduced last year, the Sea Furl 5 is an improved version of the 2535 and 3250 model furlers.  But they don't really have a decent exploded diagram of the SF5 either. I can check on the boat this weekend, can't remember how much paperwork they sent with the SF5.

I think what you need to do is to remove the outer cover.  On the SF5 it is a matter of removing 2 stainless sheet metal screws and 4 hex head machine screws.  Not sure how many fastners are on your model.  Once the two part cover is removed you should have access to the drum.

If the 1/4" turns out to be too small, you can always splice in 3/8 for the end half of the line.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ken Juul

Been thinking about my SF5 furler installation.  After you have the cover off, if the drum itself is a 2 piece you may have to split the drum to access the stopper knot.  It was 4 or 6 more machine screws.

The Hood factory is in Tampa, receptionist always answers the phone.  Sometimes it takes a couple tries to find a knowledgable tech person, but if unavailable usually will return the call.  The number I use is (813) 885-2182, I think the number given previously is for the corparate/finance offices in NH, thus the cutoff trying to transfer.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Rod Caines

Update:
I called Hood as suggested by Ron and spoke with Marty.  Marty promptly emailed me a scan of the original installation manual in pdf format.  A picture is worth a thousand words.   I just had to remove the 2 screws(or course any old screws in dissimilar metal are work) that hold the guard arm and fairlead arm together and remove them.  This provided the needed clearance for the stopper knot to slip out of the larger holes on the bottom flange of the drum.  I have not had a chance to operate underway, but did furl a couple times at the dock.   By the way, 1/4 inch line as mentioned might be a little bit too small and slightly uncomfortable.  For now it works and I know it is very easy to replace should I want a larger size down the road.  The original manual even states cored line.

Many thanks!
Rodney

FYI-
     Marty Barnett
     Hood Yacht Systems/Pompanette Air
     Customer Svc. Representative
     813-885-2182

Rodney Caines
1987 C-34 Sail La Vie
S/N 352

Ken Juul

Thanks for sharing the diagram.  I added it to the wiki