Working on the chain gang....

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Ok, I picked up some chain from a friend who had purchased it and used it for a year (Fresh water). It is 80 feet. At the 50 foot, or 30 ft mark, depending on which way you check, it has a splice with a splice connector similar to this (without the swivel) http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=101694&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10105&subdeptNum=10424&classNum=10426

Will this be safe or would it be better to cut a link, insert chain and re-weld?

Again, for use in fresh water....
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5109.0.html

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4990.msg30409.html#msg30409

Given those discussions, I would run, not walk, away from that.  

The "Anchoring 101" topic did touch on those issues, BTW.  I got these from a search on "swivel."

What you could use is this, a Connecting Link:  http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=442413&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10105&subdeptNum=10424&classNum=10426

The chain doesn't care whether you're in salt or fresh water.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

Thanks,
That last link Stu looks like the ticket. However, I think you misread my post. I said it looked like the swivel but, was just a splice type device -- no swivel.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Lance, you're right, I missed that, just looked at the link.  Darn, I oughta learn to read instead of just looking at pictures. :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Fred Koehlmann

Will the chain be going through a windlass? If so, that might determine if you can even use the "swivel" like link.

Just a thought.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Ron Hill

Lance : You will NEVER get that chain to go thru a gypsy on a windlass !!  All chain links must be identical or you'll have a jam!

If you haul it in by hand it'll be OK.  You didn't mention if it was BBB or Hi Tensile.  
If it was given to you save it for a hurricane or some other severe storm need.
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

The chain is my upper body work out! I WISH we had a windless.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ralph Masters

Lance,
You do it the same way I do.  The admiral asked in front of friends a couple of days ago why we don't anchor out more often, just to watch the sun set.  I just asked her who was going to pull that anchor back in?? 

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Lance Jones

Aye! Actually Kitty use to do it until now -- I went from 1/4 to 3/8ths chain. I think the fact that I use to remark that she was pulling my chain when she was doing that got to her too.  :rolling
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Jim Brener

If you are in reasonable shape and want to save your back here is the best way to haul the rode.

Squat down, back straight and grab the line or chain, stand up using your legs then move your hands down the rode, squat and do it again.  I sometimes get winded but have never strained my back.
Jim Brener
Wind Spirit  1987  #504

scotty

I sit down, brace my feet in the front of the anchor locker and carefully pull using my torso muscles.  Oh yeah, I just put a windlass on - it's worth consideration.  Your boat, your back (just kidding).
Scotty

Ron Hill

I had to tear most of the boat apart to do the installation, but all I do now is put my toe on the UP switch and the windlass brings it all in!! 
Try it, you'll like it!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Mark Elkin

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 30, 2011, 05:25:54 PM
I had to tear most of the boat apart to do the installation, but all I do now is put my toe on the UP switch and the windlass brings it all in!! 
Try it, you'll like it!! 

You can view Ron's project here: http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Windlass_Inside_Double_Door_Anchor_Well

And other "Adding a Windlass" projects as well here: http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Anchoring_%26_Docking
Mark S Elkin

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jim Brener on August 30, 2011, 02:11:36 PM
If you are in reasonable shape and want to save your back here is the best way to haul the rode.

Squat down, back straight and grab the line or chain, stand up using your legs then move your hands down the rode, squat and do it again.  I sometimes get winded but have never strained my back.

That's a good safe way to do it.  Sitting works, too.

However, there are a few other caveats.

If it is NOT windy or you have no current, yup, you can pull your boat up and over the anchor by hand, however you choose to do it safely (to your body, that is).  I choose to do it with coffee:  one or two cups, go to the bow, pull some in, as you pull the boat will start to move and it will get easier.  I usually take breaks and sit and relax as the boat moves and it is easier to pull more rode in.  Once I'm over the anchor or the chain starts to show, I give it a break.  My anchor is still dug in and I can't get it up by hand unless the tide is rising fast or until I use the engine to break the anchor out.

If you have wind, I find it necessary to run the engine and motor up a bit, pull in the rode, and then finish as above.

If it's VERY windy, it takes a lot more engine work.

Or, I choose to stay another day at anchor!  :D

Lance, FWIW, 3/8" chain is way overkill for your boat.  Happy hauling.