IRENE

Previous topic - Next topic

kevMar

We here in New Bern N.C. are getting ready for Irene to come by for a visit... Is there any hints about securing the boat and any other hints. This will be my first BIG hurricane so i just want to make sure i have not missed anything ... thank you

Ralph Masters

Extra dock lines and fenders I would think.  If you're on a floating pier you should not have problems with storm surge, but if not you may need to readjust lines several times as the water comes up and then receeds.

Good luck,

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ken Juul

If you are on a floating dock, how high are the posts.  The last big one that hit the Chesapeake, Isabell?, saw several floating docks with boats securely moored to them end up in a pile on the beach when the surge lifted the docks over the top of aesthetically pleasing short piles.  

Otherwise, extra dock lines, tie some to the mast and winches, don't overload the cleats.  Remove your canvas.  Sails too if you have time, especially if you are expecting over 40kts of wind.

Some folks prefer anchoring in a hurricane hole, if you chose this, use multiple anchors with at least a 10:1 scope for the expected surge.

Remove as much of the expensive stuff as you can.  Electronics, binoculars, charts, books, etc.  Anything that will be ruined by water.  Worst case, but hopefully all you will need to do is return them to a dry boat.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Kevin Henderson

We are lucky on this side of the coast that we rarely if ever have to prepare for such an event.  Irene is forcasted to get pretty nasty (CAT 4), and I really hope the best for you. The following is a link from BOATUS that has a great PDF on preparing yourself, your boat and the marina for a hurricane.
Wish you the best and please let us know how your doing.

http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/brochure.asp
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Terry Forshier

I can tell you we in Florida are sighing relief as we watch the cone go East away from us. I have been through several hurricanes and always strip the boat of canvass, even remove the boom. I am in a canal and cross tie the boat clear across the 80 foot canal. If you are a t a dock uses as many lines as you have and use spring line system to allow for rise in water levels. If you can rig chaffe gear do it. Good luck to you. We know what you may face and pray for a good outcome.

tonywright

Don't forget to remove all sails and canvas. Furling sails have a nasty habit of coming unfurled.

Good luck.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

scotty

Good luck to all of you.
Scotty

MarkT

Looks like it is making a bead on New England. We are not out of the woods here on the Chesapeake but it doesn't look like we are in the projected path. Best of luck to all of you who are about to weather this one. Remember storm surge and wave action may be a bigger issue than the wind itself. Chafe protection, bumpers, remove all sails and anything that might catch any wind, lots of lines if you are at a dock.

Ron Hill

Guys : The sad part of a hurricane is that most of the insurance companies REQUIRE that the marinas be evacuated - as part of their "coverage" !!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Michael Shaner

It looks more and more like there is a significant chance we could be getting a big one up the maw of the Chesapeake. I spoke with Boat US this morning and they relayed that, at this point, some areas are expected to see storm surge of 7-11 feet. To all of you east coast folks...make good decisions...lets keep our boats safe but the skippers safer...
Michael & Alison Shaner

Ron Hill

Guys : Just heard that Irene will be at the mouth of the Chesapeake at low tide. 
Not like Isabelle that hit at high tide.  Thanks for the little favors. 
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Stay safe everyone!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Got a call that "APACHE" is still floating & in the same place that I anchored it!!

Will go down tomorrow and move it back to the Marina - that is still there!! 
Ron, Apache #788

scotty

Great news, Ron!!!  How did the rest of you do?? (still wishing the best of luck to you all!)
Scotty

Steve Sayian

Ocean Rose was doing 20-degree rolls under bare pole on the mooring yesterday afternoon.  65MPH gusts recorded here 20 miles south of Boston.
Will check her this afternoon.
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass