Wasps

Previous topic - Next topic

horsemel

We have had two occasions now where wasps have decided to nest in the engine air intake ports in the top of the stern.  I have blasted them with wasp killer and it seems to solve the problem although I am not sure how the killer reacts with the hoses in the intake.  Has anybody had this problem?  How have you dealt with it?  Is there some kind of barrier you can use that will keep the critters out?
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Ron Hill

Mark : Those ports on the stern are for the blower intake and exhaust.

I had the same problem only with mud-dobbers.  What I did was to cut a piece of metal screen (aluminum or bronze) and with a few dabs of caulk fixed it over the holes under the cowl lid - problem solved.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

You can also stuff a rag into them when you leave the boat unattended.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ralph Masters

Ken,
That is so simple it's down right genius.

KISS

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ken Juul

Slight hijack.  One of my favorite toys on the boat is my electric fly swatter.  Flies, mosquitos, wasps/bees all fry with a nice sizzle.  I've got a AA battery model, batteries are on their second year so they are energy efficient.  Available on line or in a variety of hardware, discount, marine stores.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

horsemel

You know Ken that PETA might come and protest the cruel and unusual punishment you visit upon our winged friends.  I think I will try the screen.  I don't need one more thing to remember to do.  By the way, is it necessary to run the blowers before starting the engine like it is on a gas engine?  I do it, but note that others do not.
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Ralph Masters

Horsemel,
It is not as critical with diesel to run the exhaust vent as it is with gasoline, how ever you should run it to at least ensure you don't have exhaust gas building up under there while motoring.
I let mine run for about 5 minutes after securing the engine to remove the heat and smell from the engine too.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Stu Jackson

Quote from: horsemel on August 23, 2011, 04:00:26 PM
the way, is it necessary to run the blowers before starting the engine like it is on a gas engine?  I do it, but note that others do not.

Try a search on "blower" - many discussions.  Necessary? Not based on the originally intended use of the blower (exhauster, actually!), but as a personal choice? Sure.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : I always use my blower in the morning before an engine start - if I have the propane ON.
I also use it on a long motor where the batteries are FULL.  That keeps the tach needle from jumping around, because it acts as a load for the alternator.

It's a "just in case" with the propane and beside it's already there.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788