Aft Water Tank

Previous topic - Next topic

n624ma

OK, We've had the boat almost a year now, WHAT does everyone else do about the noise of form a partially filled aft water tank?

We love the boat but whenever we get a "rolley" night on our mooring it sounds like wave macfhine goge wild in the aft cabin.

Any suggestions other than keep tank full or empty?

I couldn't find any help through "Search"
Joseph Rheubeck

Ken Juul

I have never noticed noise from the aft water tank.  Have been annoyed several times from waves slapping the stern.  There are some products made to stop the slapping, I just live with it.  If it is the aft water tank, don't have any suggestions...sorry.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ken Heyman

how 'bout sleeping and sleeping in the v-birth ?---We find it quieter up there.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ron Hill

Joseph : Having slept thru all of the rocket and mortar attacks in Vietnam, I don't know what to tell you?
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

When we lived in the aft cabin, it was a little bit distracting. However, we usually left a fan on for white noise -- that did it. The solution -- for us -- was moving to the V-berth as Ken H. suggested. More room AND a view!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

scotty

We've never had that problem.  But ... fill the back tank and use the front??
Scotty

tommyt

I don't like it back there but when I have I have not noticed the water tank. I think that you are getting the wave slap on the stern. Try using hollow swim tubes with a line through them hung over the stern. They disrupt the wave and slapping and most of my guests that use the stern berth don't hear anything.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Ralph Masters

30 years of engine room and boiler room noise on various ships and not much disturbs me, however the admiral is bothered by noise so we too sleep forward and use a fan for the white noise.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ted Pounds

After I started racing  kept the aft tank empty to save weight.  That also stopped the noise.  On Lake Michigan we spent most of our time in marinas so keeping enough water in the starboard tank was never a problem...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

n624ma

Thanks to all, we normally sleep in the Vee but were checking out the aft cabin prior to guest use.

It is not hull slap, I pulled the aft "bulkhead" and watched the wave move and slam into the ends of the tank. Although if I put some colored lighting behind it I could have a nice visual effect!

I guess I'll experiment with some sound deadening foam.

Any other ideas are welcome.
Joseph Rheubeck

Stewartn

With everything else to listen for and worry about, the water noise has never been a factor. Maybe because we fold ourselves into the V berth and I listen to the tickle and slap of the rigging all night. I'm always amazed at how many mooring mates don't know or care how to secure halyards, etc. But, back to the aft tank: anyone know of an access port on the aft tank on a 34 Mk II? I've been to the access port on the f'wd tank. but don't see one thru the lazarette hatches on the aft tank. Suggestions? Thx.
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

Steve W10

Hey Stewart, I think we may be hijacking this thread, and this may have even been written about before, but in case not...

In my 1988, H#625 I had no access port in the tank.  When I pulled it this year for better access to a bunch of stuff I took the time to put one in.  I just used a typical 4 inch port, like one would in their anchor well or such.  It has an 'o' ring for the cap and I used my new favourite sealant butyle between the tank and plastic base (can you tell I just redid all my deck fittings and think Mainsail is a God!).  Actually I was pretty sure butyle wasn't the best choice but if you ever need to replace it....

I figured that no matter where I located the access port I'd never get access to it from the lazarette, so I put mine (through the top of course) forward on the starboard side; I'll post an image later.

So now I just pull off the steering cover and back panel and then have easy access with a shopvac to clean 'er out at the end of the season.  The tank is canted aft and even when I tried tilting it forward and bracing it, I could never get all the water out.

Also, while I had the tank out I drilled a couple drain holes in the tray, it was very obvious that water pools there frequently from my lazarette cover, and can easily flow forward to the plywood and under the cushions.  The holes do get covered by the tank and won't drain quickly, but hopefully enough to keep it from pooling.

I'll post images when I get my camera from the boat.

Steve

Marshall Tonner

The aft tank thumping used to drive us crazy too! I removed the tank, sent it to a plastics welding shop and had baffles installed.All is quiet now.
Marsh
Holland Marsh    Hull #899   Cormarant II

n624ma

Marsh,
This sounds like the solution, would you mind sharing when you had this done and what it cost?
Joseph Rheubeck

Marshall Tonner

I had the baffles installed about 6 years ago at a cost of C$140.00 plus tax. They cut the top off the tank,welded in 3 "plates" and welded it back together .
Marsh
Holland Marsh    Hull #899   Cormarant II