CATALINA 355 PROS CONS ISSUES

Previous topic - Next topic

wind dancer

Quote from: tommyt on August 12, 2011, 08:09:59 PM

The 34 and 36 sail the same. There is what, 9 " difference in the boats? On MKII's the cockpit is identical between the two. Make the decision in the salon (which the 36 does have a great one) or the
V-berth (where the 34 wins hands down). There is a slight difference in the aft berth where again the 34 wins...but the difference is minimal.

True, the waterline is only 9" longer (there is more difference in LOA).  Truth be told, I'd rather have a C355 as I love the layout and handling of my C34, but it's a bit out of my price range.  Sailing-wise, I am looking for newer systems, rigging, dutchman, sails, etc.  I can do all of that to my old boat, but would like more headroom, longer vberth (I measured a C36 as being 4" longer than my C34), a swim step, larger head/shower, and more deck space too.

I am torn at this point. . . and may just wait until I can afford the C355.  It's not like I don't have a great boat now (it's just a little small for me).
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

tonywright

"there is more difference in LOA"

Are you sure about that?:  Catalina 34 LOA: 35' 8".  Catalina 36 LOA: 36' 4". My math says 8 inches...

Tony 
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ralph Masters

Hey Wind Dancer,
There is a boat in the slip next to mine has everything you're looking for.
It's a Cheoy Lee 53, listed at 384,000.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

wind dancer

Quote from: tonywright on August 15, 2011, 11:25:06 AM
"there is more difference in LOA"

Are you sure about that?:  Catalina 34 LOA: 35' 8".  Catalina 36 LOA: 36' 4". My math says 8 inches...

Tony 

Yes, positive.  C36 LOA is 37'9".  LOD is 36'4".  The old brochures listed it incorrectly.  Check out the 2004 brochure here: http://www.c36ia.com/files/C36%202004%20Brochure.pdf.

wind dancer

Quote from: SD Diver on August 15, 2011, 02:08:56 PM
Hey Wind Dancer,
There is a boat in the slip next to mine has everything you're looking for.
It's a Cheoy Lee 53, listed at 384,000.

Ralph

Haha, very funny. :-)  If I was looking for a live-aboard I'd take a Catalina 400 or 445 over that any day, for less money.

Seriously though, the C355 looks great to me.  A little short inside, but I could make do. ;-)

Ralph Masters

The admiral is all set to order a brand new 355 with all the bells and whiltles, she evens wants the dark blue hull, and I'm sure for enough bucks catalina would make it with the blue gel coat, all we need is the winning lotto numbers.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Dave Spencer

The C34 looks great in Flag Blue so I assume the 355 would too.  My PO had our Sail #1279 Awlgripped when he first bought it in approx 2001.  It's never seen wax and the North Channel water still glistens off the hull.  I'm trying to decide if I should add a cove stripe.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

scotty

The cove stripe would be a "Good Idea"!!   :thumb:  Beautiful boat!!!
Scotty

Solstice

First, I want to thank the C34 assoc. for having us. As a longtime Catalina owner, I know how valuable these forums are. I am the new owner of hull #17 and would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have regarding the C355. I took delivery in June and have put approximately 300 miles under the keel so far, so I've gotten a pretty good feel for her.
This is my 3rd Catalina (a C30TR and a C320--still a dues paying member of the 320 association). We had no intentions of buying the boat when we did, however we were looking for 3 things for our 'last' boat--an island berth, separate shower and lower freeboard in a boat under 35 ft. I had read all the press that came out of Annapolis, but when we saw it at the New England boat show, we were sold. I spoke to an owner who had sailed her since January and he was gracious enough to give me honest feedback on her sailing performance--we have not been disappointed! She sails great but I can't wait to put a feathering prop on in the spring.

Jim Hardesty

I was looking around the web and came on this.   The spinnaker set has perked my intrest.

http://www.seafaring.com/latsTV/boatReviews.php?id=18

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scotty

OK, I never should have looked at the video site.  This (the 355) is a seriously well put together boat.  I hope my wife dosen't see this video - I'll have to keep her away from the boat show next year - or we might be taking out another boat loan.  OK, back to my reality, I love my 34.  Just can't help a little lust in my heart.  Oh yeah, welcome aboard 355 owners!!
Scotty