Starter question

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

What is the best way to gain access to the starter to inspect/clean/repair starter switch to starter wire connection? It looks like through the aft berth floor panels
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

2ndwish

I got there from the front and access the battery stud from the little door in the head. I suspect each human will contort in different ways so choose your poison and then your chiropractor.
T

Ken Juul

I don't think you can get too it from the rear.  Changing the trans fluid is a stretch, the starter is a good 12-14" farther away.

I think the only access is from the front.  Lay an old mattress pad or sheet of cardboard over the front of the engine for some comfort and go for it.  As long as you are back there, might as well dissassemble and clean the main ground point, port side just behind the starter.  If you have the patience you can also use some spot ties to straighten out the rats nest of wires that Catalina left when they built the boat.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

Good advice Ken -- as always!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : I'm not too sure what you want to clean?? 

The only connection point that you can get to is the stud on the starter solenoid.  There are a number (at least 2) of wires connected to that stud terminal.  Such as the #4 wire from the battery selector switch. 
I'd recommend that you re-crimp connectors on both of the wires and solder the positive wire and the negative wire connections (mentioned by Ken).  You might want to squirt some Radio Shack tuner cleaner on the fuse connections and the inside of the fuse holder.  Make sure that you have a lock washer on that stud/nut.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

From page 2 of Critical Upgrades:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4556.0.html

The starter is under and behind (strange description, I know, but that's pretty much where it is) the alternator.  Careful about wiring under there, you don't wanna disturb the alternator wiring.  I recommend replacing the quick connect spade female on the wiring harness to the starter solenoid while you're there, as well as the fuse holder.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

Thanks all -- as usual, great advice!  :thumb:
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622