Raymarine Autopilot install

Previous topic - Next topic

2ndwish

We recently added a Raymarine  autopilot system.  The computer, rudder sensor and fluxgate compass were all installed in a fashion similar to what has been posted. We couldn't bear to part with >$200 for a rail mounted Navpod, so we came up with a DIY solution. A box was fashioned from 1/4" Starboard. Instead of mounting the box on the rail, we mounted it in the Starboard drink holder on the pedestal guard rail. A 3 -1/2 " pvc reducer pipe was attached to the bottom of the box and is inserted into the large cup holder opening, making a firm but yet movable swivel for the head. Since we didn't always need the autopilot, the install allows the controller to be removed and stored securely below. The ST6002 only requires power, return and serial digital data connections (SeaTalk, 3 wires). The standard Seatalk connection is completely unsuitable for repeated connections, so we used a shielded USB extension cable to make the connection. USB connectors have gold plated pins and rhodium or nickel plated shrouds and might withstand the marine environment. We cut the cable and a ST cable, splicing the male USB connector to the short ST cable. The other end of the cable was connected to the course computer. The cable was routed through the rail guard using a fish tape from the aft cabin. I'm still uncertain how the rail guard is supposed to be sealed at the cockpit floor.  The connection is made by mating the USB male to female- a quick easy mating. The system works fine and the total cost of the box and wires was less than $50. Pictures attached.  The edges of the box are still a little rough and when I get an 1/8 round router tool. I'll clean it up.

T

2ndwish

a few more pics

Ralph Masters

Very nice "wood" working.  Looks great.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Roger Blake

Boy, that is really nice. But wait, where will you put your drinks??? Oh wait, in your hand? Nice job, well done. :clap
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

2ndwish

Believe it or not we thought about that. The cup holder has 4 slots. We figured when we have enough hands or board to need all 4, we probably don't need the autopilot and it stays below. When short handed we give up a slot to the autopilot. :shock:
T