Replacement for short/toy bow roller

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Kurt : If you look at my anchor roller mod (projects or also in my windlass article) you'll see that I kept my center cleat !! 
I also added side cleats just because I found that tying two lines on that single center cleat had them over lapping - and I didn't like that.

I always use the center cleat for the anchor rode and would really miss it if it weren't there.   
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

I did the same as Ron - side cleats for dock lines, center cleat for anchoring.  Worked great!  :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

scotty

Kurk,  I've been using my Ronca 15 for several months now, and anchor out often.  The small (original) roller is working fine for me.  The anchor fluke does rub against the hull, but it barely touches.  I'm going to epoxy a small plate to take up the abrasion.  It just hasn't been a problem for me, so it's still on the to-do list.  The anchor is slightly tilted - but hardly so (just a few degrees).  It does not touch the headstay.  This may be because I mounted the windless and the anchor lock, well to starboard.  If it did touch, I would be concerned.  Also, as I mentioned earlier, I cut a small slit into the anchor locker cover that the end of the anchor, and the chain, go into.  I think is looks good, and it allows me to secure the anchor in a clean and shipshape manner.  I added side cleats, and also kept the center cleat.  Check out the picture I posted earlier in this thread, if that helps.  I would be concerned for any system that required the user to hitch or unhitch the anchor around the roller, it sounds like a possible source of danger.  Easy tasks on a calm day can go significantly wrong on the old "dark and stormy night".  I am sure that either the original roller or a longer roller are both doable.  The choice is (of course) yours.
Scotty