Welding Wire for DC system?

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve W10

Just in the process of updating my electrical system.  Looks like I'm going to require some heavy duty wire for things like the inverter (2 guage) and of course the standard 4 gauge battery wires ++.

Has anyone used, or does anyone know of a reason a person could not use Welding Wire in these applications?  Obviously it's not tinned, but it seems every other aspect is good, jacket material, as well as temperature ranges.

Thanks,

Steve

lazybone

The jacket insulation might not be rated for oil, gas, blah, blah, blah.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ted Pounds

The tinning is VERY important in marine applications.  Also marine-grade wire is probably finer strand than welding wire making it easier to route and less likely to suffer fatigue breaks.  The PO on my boat used welding wire for the windlass and I replaced it all with marine grade...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

scotty

Saving money is very important, and is best done by doing the work yourself.  Labor is very expensive.  That said, the times I've used non-marine grade, I've generally regretted it later.  Wiring is certainly an area to take care.  Shop around for the best price, but stay with top quality, marine grade.
Scotty

Steve W10

Thanks for the quick input guys.

Another issue that came up was insurance.  I hate dealing with those guys at the best of times, but I can only imagine what they would do with that type of wire involved in a claim.  Even if you don't have a claim, I wonder if a surveyor would check that?  I'd hate to find myself redoing the whole thing anyway.... might as well just do it right.

In one of the other threads I found a link to boatwire.com which I believe has now been absorbed by http://genuinedealz.com/

After checking out much of their website I spoke to Mike this morning.  They have excellent prices on marine grade wire, connectors, etc.

Also for a buck an end they'll do the crimping and heat shrinking for you.  I've got a great crimper for smaller gauge wire, but not for the big stuff.  I was going to make something to fit the vice (and still may), but for the money, I may just get them to do all the work.

Shipping is free in the US, and for us Canucks, they take off something like 10% of your order cost, to put it toward shipping.  They are happy to use USPS and a 20-pound box runs about $35 for shipping.

Guess I'll have to double check those lengths and submit my order.

Thanks again.

mainesail

Welding cable does not meet the minimum marine safety standards of ABYC E-11.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Ron Hill

Steve : If you don't have a crimper that can handle #2 or #4 wire here's what Id do. 
Ask genuinedealz to cut to your length, crimp on the ring connector (make sure you have the correct hole size) and slide on the heat shrink, but not shrink it!!  That way you can solder that crimp and then use a heat gun and shrink the covering. 

Sorry, I'm a belt and suspenders guy that likes to crimp and solder - have never had a problem and always had great electrical connections!!   A thought
Ron, Apache #788