Exhaust riser heat wrap

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

Has anyone had to rewrap their exhaust riser recently? I am just about to reinstall a repaired exhaust riser and wondered if a couple of layers of used wrap (which looks like 2" fibreglass tape) is enough to manage the heat from the manifold of the M35BC. Previously I had some bulky insulating material under the tape. It worked fine from an insulating perspective but it also obscured the leak that developed at one of the welds by soaking up the liquid. If I can get the insulation I need from a couple of layers of tape it would allow me to monitor the integrity of the rise much more effectively.

Any ideas appreciated.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Roc

John,
You might try going to an autoparts store, or possibly one of those "speed" shops?  The other option is to call Catalina and see what they used, maybe they have some to send you.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Terry Forshier

When I did my replacement I did not have enough heat wrap insulation. I called Catalina direct, who I bought from , and they sent me some extra insulation to wrap the extension piece that is part of my riser system. free

learjetzz

Had my riser rebuilt here and used some Firesleeve ( Strato-Flex 2650-32  s/a Aeroquip AE102-32 ) you  can check locally at your friendly Aerospace or Industrial place that sells hydraulic hose assemblies. I finished the ends with liquefied RTV to dip the ends ( has appx. 375 + temp. range ) , and secure both ends with worm screw clamps and safety (.040" ). And leave enough  "bag" for heat envelope. My O.E.M. was glass tap and safety wired which looked a P.O.S., I'll try to post some pictures of this .

Regards.

John Langford

Sounds like a very professional job. Thanks for the details and I look forward to seeing a picture.

It did, however, take me a bit of time to sort out that "P.O.S." was not a term of endearment.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S