Ignition Switch Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Masters

I've been having on again off again problems with the ignition switch so bought a new one from NAPA.  The rewire on it is very straight forward, two wires, actually 4 but three on one post and one on a second.  The tricky part of this project is getting to the back of the panel to do the replacement.  YOu will need to pull the entire console out.  The aluminum panel is attached into the box with number 6 screws with nuts on the back, the box is wood screws into the glass.  The hard part is getting the 25 year old sealent to let go with out breaking anything.  I use slow, steady pressure and prying around the edge and it came out after about 45 minutes of working on it.  I tried to get at it from the back in the lazzert but..........

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

2ndwish

Ralph- It sounds like you are trying to remove the box. We found that was not necessary. Remove the plexiglass cover, the 6 screws and nuts and the panel comes out. Access to the 6 nuts from the lazarette is adequate (wear long sleeves). Once the panel is removed the ignition switch is easily replaced. The hard part is getting the 6 bolts back in without losing the nuts. This is an impossible task without a helper. I suppose if you have to do it by yourself, you might have to remove the box. When we did the harness upgrade, we replaced the harness wires adding about 2 feet. This allows the panel to be rested on the cockpit seat to make it easier to service.
T

Ralph Masters

Two feet more wire would have been GREAT.  Yep, removed the box myself, the admiral was on special liberty yesterday, so pulled the box.  I figure the first switch lasted 23 years, I'm good for another 23, then who cares.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ralph Masters

The next project will be the hour meter, wire into the fuel pump just trying to figure the best place to stick it.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Stu Jackson

Quote from: SD Diver on August 02, 2011, 02:41:42 PM
The next project will be the hour meter, wire into the fuel pump just trying to figure the best place to stick it

In the head compartment.  Then folks will really wonder what it is measuring. :D

Sure is close to the fuel pump, though...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Ralph : Rather than trying to put it in the engine instrument panel as space in a premium -- why not put it down by the fuel pump!?!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

I think it will go in the cabinet with the racor and fuel pump.  I could put it next to the Jabsco and make em really wonder.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Ralph : When you buy items like ignition switches make sure they are brass and if there is a "weep" hole it should be down when mounted. 
If it were my switch and there wasn't a weep hole I'd drill one.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Ron,
Thanks for the thoughts.  I bought a top quality brass switch from NAPA, and the back has drainage.  I put a plastic cap off the small propane tanks used for the Magma grill over the key opening it keep water out when I wash down.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Ralph : You can purchase (small cost- dollar or two) rubber boots that will fit over the ignition key switch, the starter switch and any toggle switches you may have.

They really keep the water out.  I've had them on all of my engine instrument panel switches for over 20 years.  I've never had to replace any of them since I installed them.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

prh77

Wired and secured the Hobbs Meter right above the Racor in the head. Works great and only requires a check every week or so to keep the maintenance log up to date.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Kevin Henderson

Ralph,
Did you replace your ignition switch because there was a problem?  I remember reading in another thread an issue where a bad ignition switch can cause problems with not being able to start the engine.  I've been experiencing an intermittent problem like that and am considering replacing my ignition switch as well.  I'll look your installation over and see if I can tackle that soon.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ralph Masters

Kevin,
The switch stopped working in the normal position.  I had to hold it over in the "start" position to make it work.  I'll be aboard most  of the day Saturday, need to do some head sail cover mending.  The blue sunbrella cover has a small rip, so I need to drop the head sail and do some "rope yarn" on it.  Ken, you recall that term from your navy days??

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ken Juul

For those not in the know:
Historical
On the day the tailor boarded a sailing ship in  port,  the  crew  knocked  off  early,  broke  out rope  yarn,  and  mended  clothes  and  hammocks. One  afternoon  per  week  at  sea,  usually  a Wednesday,  was  reserved  for  mending.  Since  it was an afternoon for rest from the usual chores, much  like  Sunday,  it  was  dubbed   rope   yarn Sunday.

Current usage (at least in the '80s & "90s)
A day to goof off, if in port, many times it was on the softball field with copious amounts of cold beer.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Kevin Henderson on August 03, 2011, 08:20:27 PM
Ralph,
Did you replace your ignition switch because there was a problem?  I remember reading in another thread an issue where a bad ignition switch can cause problems with not being able to start the engine.  I've been experiencing an intermittent problem like that and am considering replacing my ignition switch as well.  I'll look your installation over and see if I can tackle that soon.   :abd:

Kev, check the Critical Upgrades topic.  Fuseholder to starter.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."