Closet Idea

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan Rash

In case there are any live-aboards that sleep in the v-birth (like me) out there that have been looking for a nice way to store hang-up clothes.  I did this for about 25$ worth of parts, I really like how it turned out and it leaves the aft birth completely functional.  I layed down in the rack and the clothes didnt bother me the least bit.  Just an idea I thought I would share.

Jordan
CaliGal

Jordan Rash
CaliGal #1126
1991 C34

noworries

cool idea... thanks for sharing
1991 Catalina 34 Mark 1.5 w/ M35

Stephen Butler

We have just moved aboard and were looking for ideas.  Great timing.  So how did you screw the pole supports into the hull?  Wood screws?  Through bolted? Epoxy?  We are a bit timid about screwing anything into the hull.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Jordan Rash

Right now, I have sheet screws (1/2 in, course thread) up there right now and it is solid.  I gave it a good tug before putting the clothes on it.  I am thinking that I may pull it down and add some sort of caulking just as additional hold, doesnt need it though.  Definitely happy with the outcome, and it took a whole 30 minutes to install.
Jordan Rash
CaliGal #1126
1991 C34

Lance Jones

Ok. I'm interested in this for the admiral. Details? Is that marine parts or home depot stuff?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Jordan Rash

Hey Lance -

Its all from WM.  I had a spare piece of 7/8" railing that I used and just bought the connections.  The railing is about 2.5 ft long and I chose the ends with the 60 deg angle just because I think it looks nicer. 

I installed the middle piece first, stuck to rail through and marked the spot of the end....the angled pieces made it easy to slip the rail into place. 

Really easy.

Jordan
Jordan Rash
CaliGal #1126
1991 C34

Lance Jones

Thanks Jordan. Did you tap the 1/2 inch (Depth?) screw or just drill and then screw it in? I think I may surprise the bride with this project this weekend when she is at work...
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ralph Masters

Hey Jordan,
Great looking job.  Congratulations on getting the boat back in the water.  Make that trip down that channel from Chula Vista Yet??  Just be mindful of the dog leg and the mud flats if you miss it.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ken Juul

Nice idea Jordan  :clap

I did something similiar in the vee berth.  Short (~18") between the wood bulkhead and the hatch.  One end attaches with a bracket to the stbd hinge bolts the other end has a strap to one of the bulkhead attachment screws.  Still have good access tothe Vee berth, the doorway is still open.  Does kind of make access to the hanging locker a bit difficult.  If there is any interest I'll get some pictures next trip to the boat.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA