Tall Rig Versus Standard Rig

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Masters

Differences in C34 Standard and Tall rig.

What are the real differences in the standard and the tall rig??  I know there is a two foot difference in the height of the mast, but are the main sails the same size??  It appears that the real difference is that the boom on the tall rig is about two feet higher up the mast giving more clearance in the cockpit and above the Dodger. If this is the real difference then the sails should be nearly the same size.  Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

To the best of my knowledge, the boom is the same height on tall rigs as on standard rigs therefore the mainsail is larger on tall rigs.
At one point, I thought my boom  (tall rig) was actually lower than a standard rig but when I measured it, it was not.
If there are differences, they were probably made by the owners or previous owners
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ralph Masters

The reason for the question is on Ciao Bella the boom just clears the dodger, and others I have noticed that there is a good 1 ½ foot clearance.  I don't think it's the dodger on the other boat is shorter, it still blocks my view right at eye level.  I'll have to run a tape up and see just what rig I have and then confirm the other boat.  (The admiral keeps saying she wants the dodger raised so she can see under it, but the boom is in the way.  What to do??)
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Volk

The sail area is larger according to the Catalina 34 Specs.  The height of the mast goes from 44' for Std. rig to 46' for tall rig.  The 'P' measurement for the main, which is the luff length is 38'6" for Std. rig and 40'6" for the tall rig.  The 'E' measurement, the length of the foot is 12' for both rigs.  The 'J' measurement, which is for the foretriangle , measures from the headstay pin to the front of the mast is the same 13'6". It shows the square footage of the Std. rig main as 528 Sq. Ft. & the Tall rig as 554 Sq. Ft.  It also shows all measurements are approximate.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I remember a thread that provided the distance from the boom to the deck at the mast but I don't recall what the distance was but I remember that it was the same for both std and tall.
If the sail was cut different or stretched, that could also account for the rear of the boom being higher. Also, is the sail all the way up the mast?

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Volk

Mike, Ralph,

I did a search on 'dodger on tall rig' & it came up with a site from July/08 & it showsyou had this questions & contacted the factory and they said the measurement was the same for both rigs, 37" from deck to the gooseneck. There is a lot of good information on old posts regarding dodger height, sail stretching & boom height.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Ralph Masters

37 inches it is then, on my way to the boat with tape meassure in hand, well after work any.  Damn work, always getting in the way of play.

Thank you for the information,

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Gary Brockman

Ralph -

It may be that you have a racing main that was cut with a drooping bottom panel and a flattening reef where the end of the boom hangs down 18-24" below the gooseneck level for extra unrated sail area for light air as my boat had when I bought it in San Diego.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Ralph Masters

Gary,
Thanks for your input.  I'll look at that aspect as well.  I'll be on the boat Friday, playing hooky, and I'll meassure the height of the mast and the boom and run the main up and take a look at that as well.
I appreciate all the helpful suggestions thus far.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ralph Masters

Measured the mast today and hull 367 Ciao Bells is a standard rig and the boom is 37 inches off deck.  Thanks for the support

Next to see how long the main sail foot is

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Ralph : I Wrote this a number of years ago, but it's worth repeating. 
If you look at the mast main sail track just above the mast step there is a type writer tape that will give the hull # that the mast was to go in - as well a if it is a Standard or Tall Rig.

Great info in those old Mainsheet tech notes!!   A thought !!
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Ron,
Saw your note about the tape on the mast and looked.  Looked as if the mast had been painted at some point and there was no marking, but I did read your note about.  So had to fall back to plan "B".  Today when I pull the sail cover I'm going to measure the boom and the sail foot.  After seeing the other notes on this subject I want to be sure of what's on the boat.  But I did read your note.  Thank you for posting those, they are of tremendous help.

Stay cool,

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ralph Masters

Main sail, it's an FX sail, foot measures 12 feet.  Now we're talking.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987