Fuel Filter Change Question

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I've been reading all the posts about changing the Racor. Tomorrow is the day!!!!! All the posts say to turn off fuel at the tank. Is there a valve on the fuel feed line or what is it that I need to look for? Thanks in advance!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

The valve is on the tank at the very top of the fuel pick up tube.  You access it by opening the beckson plate located at the forward end of the port cockpit seat locker or by removing the the port wall of the aft berth.  An alternative method is to use vice grips as a clamp on the fuel line.  Suggest using something ( leather, rags, etc) between the vice grips and the fuel line to prevent damaging the line.  This is not a good method if your lines are starting to get old, may end up cracking them.  A third, but messier method is to make a wooden plug, remove the line from the racor and plug it while you are changing the filter.

Which ever method you use, you will spill fuel. I always throw a couple days worth of newspapers into the space under the sink to catch what ever drops.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

Wow, no one has added a petcock type arrangement yet?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ed Shankle

I did. A few years back when I had to replace the fuel tank, it came with a new set of barbed connectors already screwed into the tank. Problem was, the dimension of the connector base was different from my old one, so I couldn't re-use the petcock from the old tank, which screwed into the tank top and had a barbed fitting for the fuel line, and couldn't easily find a new one. So rather than spending a lot of time running around trying to find one, I just bought an in line petcock and installed it a foot away from the Racor. Makes it easier to turn the fuel on and off right under the sink, as a bonus.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

scotty

It's really easy to open and close the petcock at the tank.  Going in through the beckson plate in the lazzerette was no big deal on my boat.
Scotty

Stu Jackson

I have an inline petcock, will most likely install it next time I do a filter change.  But getting to the Beckson's a good excuse to clean out the port locker... :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Clay Greene

We changed our filter element without closing the fuel line at the tank. We didn't get any fuel flowing until we turned the key and energized the fuel pump.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ralph Masters

I have a valve at the Racor.  It's screwed into the inlet side of the body, makes it very easy to turn off the fuel.  In fact it got me in trouble one day motoring out, forgot to open it.  went almost to the end of our channel on what fuel in in the bowl, went dead right at buoy 39.  I knew right away what the problem was.  Opened the valve turned on the key and in about three minutes the system was primed and the engine started.  Now that valve is on my underway check list.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Craig Illman

I added a valve at the Racor, like Ralph.

Craig

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Any recommendation for an injector cleaning solution to fill my filter bowl with?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : it's a SIMPLE matter to add in a ball valve in the fuel line just before the Racor filter.  Then you don't have to screw around with the butterfly valve on the top of the tank !!

I've written this so many times I'm surprised you missed it.  One of the best cleaner /additives is PS Service diesel additive sold at WallMart. 

Sorry, but it gets frustrating writting up all this stuff to have people not read it, or not remember it, or not look it up. 
Sorry it's been 103 degrees today with a heat index of 123.  Have a happy day!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Thanks Ron. I understand your frustration. We have a TON of info on the site and sometimes one may not use the exact search terms. I try and search before I ask.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Kevin Henderson

WOW!!  I'm feeling froggy enough from the recent success of my Racor filter change that I too may try the installation of this new fangled in line petcock valve.   :D
BTW.. What diameter is the fuel line inlet to the Racor?
Once again Ralph... I'm going to have to come over to your boat to see what you've been up to.  :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau