Fuel Filter Change Question

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Kevin Henderson on July 23, 2011, 08:57:14 AM
BTW.. What diameter is the fuel line inlet to the Racor?

3/8" supply, 5/16" return and a few very small lines between the injectors (1/4"?)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Kevin : The fuel line inlet is a barbed fitting for a 3/8" fuel hose.  I believe that the fitting that screws into the Racor is a 3/8" NPT tapered thread.

What you can do is make a clamp out of a needle nose pliers and clamp off the fuel line (use a couple of thin wood strips to protect the fuel hose).  Then remove the barbed fitting from the Racor, screw in the threaded ball valve fitting into the Racor and then the old fitting gets screwed into the other end of the ball valve. Reconnect the fuel hose, bleed the system and you're good to go!

I like to use non harding Permatex rather than Teflon tape on the threads, but that's your choice.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

Some Racors use tapered NPT and some use a straight fitting with an O-ring. Sorry, I can't remember which. Mine used the o-ring fittings.

Check out this site: http://fittingsforracor.com/default.asp

Criag

Lance Jones

Interesting fuel filter change. My Racor doesn't have a 1/4 or 3/8ths fitting so the shut off valve project is shelved for a bit. Changed the filter easily enough. I thought I bled the filter enough by turning the knurled knob on top of the filter. Motor started up fine after allowing the pump to run a bit. I ran it for 10 minutes. shut her down. Next morning we went for a sail. Motored out of the slip and shut down -- no worries. Great day long sail. Started motor. Lowered sails. Started back in. Motor died. Hummm. Turned nob on top of filter to bleed. Wouldn't start. Traced fuel line, found the knurled knob on top of the motor (I guess this is the one I should have been bleeding through the whole time...) and opened it 1/4 turn and bled system. Motor started fine.

I'm glad I followed the advice of only change one at a time so you know which system you screwed up. Now I know how to PROPERLY Bleed the system! Glad I read about this on the site or I wouldn't have thought to look further down the fuel delivery process. I may have read it wrong; but, I'll remember it for life!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Kevin Henderson

Lance,

Glad everything turned out fine.  I too wondered about bleeding utilizing the valve on top of the filter.  One day when Ralph was aboard Pau Hana he distinctly pointed out the bleed valve to be used that is mounted on the engine.  Your experience has even more so solidified the fact.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Lance Jones

Now on to the secondary filter!!!! Thanks so much to yous guys (Gender neutral statement...). I couldn't have done it so smoothly without you. :thumb:
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Thanks, Lance, glad it worked for you.  I added "...or the knob..." on the Racor to the Bleeding 101 topic:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6377.0.html

You need do NOTHING at the Racor except taking the filter off and replacing it.

The KNOB, as you say, is ON THE ENGINE, just like Bleeding 101 says.

Good for you.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Kevin : Let's recheck the fuel line sizes. 
The main lines from the tank to the Racor/fuel pump/engine fuel filter/injection pump/ are all 3/8" diameter. 
The fuel return is 1/4" diameter. 
The lines from the aft most injector to where the fuel return line connects (and between injectors for the M25 only) are 1/8" or 3/16" lines.

Ron, Apache #788