Noise in Steering Wheel/Binnacle?

Previous topic - Next topic

Wobegon

I was out for a very nice sail in about 12 knots of wind this past weekend when I started to hear a noise from my steering while my autopilot was engaged.  (it may have been too stiff for the autopilot, not sure)  When the wheel turned, or when I manually turned the wheel, I heard a noise that can best be described as a soft rubbing sound. It was most certainly NOT metal on metal, but like a plastic or rubber on another surface.   I do have an Autohelm ST4000 autopilot on the wheel which I don't know the age.  The sound was most prevalent when the wheel was "under load" and not when we were sailing down wind or in lighter air.  The sound continued when I was motoring back to the marina, but at a lesser extent and not as prevalent.  No noise at all when the wheel is turned while resting in the slip.  When I got back to my slip I inspected the steering mechanism through the inspection area in the aft berth and did not find anything that looked unusual in the steering mechanisms.  I removed the compass from the binnacle and took the top off the binnacle to inspect...nothing looked unusual. 

I am now trying to figure out if the noise was coming from my autopilot or if I have something in the steering system that is failing, etc.  Has anyone experienced this or does anyone have an suggestions as what this might be or what to inspect for issues?

Also, should any lubrication or maintenance be done to the steering system?

Ron Hill

Wo : Look in the Edson manual and there is some minor maintenance that need to be done. 
Just make sure that you don't get any grease or oil on the wheel brake lock mechanism. 
Ron, Apache #788

scotty

Scotty

Ken Juul

The wheel pilot is probably the cause of the noise.  Maintenance instructions call for rinsing the drive belt assembly regularly with fresh water.  Dirt/salt can get in there and start to gum things up.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

2ndwish

That's funny. I just installed a new RM Wheelpilot MKII and it made noise out of the box before I even installed it (bearing race noise). I assumed it is normal. It continues to make noise on the wheel, the same scraping bearing race noise. Other than the noise it works great.
T

Stu Jackson

Any noise should be questioned.  As folks who anchor out already know, correctly adjusting "all those strings" makes for a quiet night, almost regardless of how hard it's blowin'. (up to a point, ya do realize... :D)

Same is true about "thing" noises.  Each of us learns about the particular noises our boats have.  When sailing and most likely different when motoring.

--- The mast partners when the stick was newly stuck back in before the turnbuckle was adjusted at the mast to the underside of the deck (anyone got the "name" of that sucker yet?)

--- The vibration difference when the coupling flange throws a bolt (or two)

--- The rumble when we forget to put the transmission in reverse when the engine is off

--- and... yours?

We have been "ruthless" in chasing them down and dealing with them.  There have been so many in our early boat-ownership days that all I can remember is this:  We fixed them in 1998 and 1999 and haven't heard of 'em since.  I can't recall them all.

Given that, the beauty is that what does make noise means something's different and REQUIRES attention.

And then there was the time a few weeks ago when my stereo suddenly stopped working on a hard sail up the Bay.  Now there's a noise I like to hear, but when it went silent, I spent all of that sail thinking about what it could be that would shut off the "noise" (the Cal baseball team College World Series final game) I really wanted to hear.

All was quiet, 'cept the sound of rushing water past the hull.

Once at anchor, instead of ripping all the stereo wiring apart, I lifted up the battery box cover to find that the very connector for the stereo memory wire that I had crimped had wilted and broken.  A five minute fix of the connector's crimp had the music and baseball games back on.

I "quietly" spent the next two days re-oiling my interior teak.   :D

If you have any unusual noise, find it, and fix it.

Unless it's your favorite music or baseball game..  8)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

David Comando

In these hot and humid days in the Northeast (finally), the noise I get from my steering is the quadrant slightly rubbing on the lazarette shelf. The heat must expand the wood and it touches the quadrant.
David Comando, 1987 Kindred Spirit, Hull# 55 sailing the waters of Eastern Long Island, and to other points in the Northeast.

sailaway

I had the same problem and it was the bearings in the autohelm. I was able to buy parts and a spare belt an rebuild it. Took care of my problem. There are small rollers that the autohelm belt rides on they get worn. Maybe the belt has stretched. Charlie

Clay Greene

Are you sure it is coming from the binnacle?  It could be coming from an overtightened rudder packing gland:

http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/techdata-rudder-packing-gland.html
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ken Juul

There has been a lot of discussion on other threads about the construction of the new wheel pilot. I had mine apart recently for a good cleaning.  It is a totally new design, the wheels and the posts that were prone to wear/breakage/noise are gone.  Can't see exactly how they did it, but the set up is more like a bearing race.  It may appear to be not as robust as it's predecessors, but I think that is just the outside cover.  The downside, to the new design is it is harder to clean.  The manual recommends spraying water in the slot on the back side after every use and a disassembly and cleaning annually. It also says not to use any solvents like WD40 to clean it.  Spray the fresh water in the slot and turn the wheel stop to stop a couple times.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

If you get any oil or grease on that brake mechanism, use some lacquer thinner to clean off those metal parts.   i do this periodically just so the brake really holds. 
Ron, Apache #788

Wobegon

Thank you to everyone.  I am pleased to report I just got back from 9 days on the water and the autohelm worked flawlessly and with NO NOISE!  Before I left on my cruise, I simply rinsed out the mechanism on the wheel with some fresh water at a high pressure from the hose.  They wheel had always made some sort of noise and even that is gone.  This will not become a regular maintenance item for me each spring.  Thanks!