BoatUS & the GPS System

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Thought you'd like to know about my response.

Have at it.  Please.  & thanks,  Stu

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=131581
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave Spencer

:clap
Good professional and balanced reply Stu.  Thanks.

We count on GPS all around the world.  Thanks to the US for making this excellent technology available for all. 

Canada tried to get a national GPS system going but our diesel powered satellites packed it in due to bad fuel here in the Great White North!   :D :D
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6454.0.html

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Way to go Stu. Very well put. I will also respond to this.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ralph Masters

For what it's wrth I put in my two cents worth as well.  Glad I just upgraded to the new Garmin 740 unit, it might not work but it'll look nice when I'm lost.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

pablosgirl

Stu you are correct, its all about the $$$.  I put my 2 cents wort in too.  I hope enough of us do also so that the politicians will know we are paying attention on this one and deny the permit.  I am starting to see some correlation of this subject with the Ayn Rand novels.  It seems that politicians no longer go to Washington to serve their constituents but their own self interests.  I have been spamming all my friends with email on this subject so they will comment too.  I hope the rest of this group is doing the same.
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

r_bond

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Stu.  I logged in and wrote my letter.  Everyone of us should do this!
1993 C34
Hull # 1261
Wing Keel, Std. Rig

Kevin Henderson

Thanks Stu.  I gave my input and I hope everyone also follows up. 

"The leaders won't follow if the people won't lead"   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ted Pounds

Boaters are not alone in this.  The aviation industry and airlines in particular are fighting this one hard...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

r_bond

I rec'd a nice letter back from my congressman, Senator Bill Nelson of Florida.  In his response - which by the way he committed that he is well aware of and watching this issue very closely - he provided some additional "links" for those interested in providing additional feedback.  Here are the links:

If you would like to comment on the Lightsquared Technical Working Group Report (IB Docket 11-109), go to http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/upload/display?z=pyaws

For additional instructions on how to file comments, please go to http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/howtocomment.html.

1993 C34
Hull # 1261
Wing Keel, Std. Rig

Ralph Masters

I too got a "canned" reply back, makes me feel safe that they are looking out for us.   NOT............

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Bill Asbury

Check out todays's Latitude 38' 'lectronic latitude comment on this issue.
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

scotty

Scotty

Ralph Masters

Read the Latitude 38 story.  What a bunch of blood sucking leeches.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Jim Hardesty

Here is the reply from Senator Toomey....Jim

July 22, 2011
Dear James,

Thank you for contacting me about LightSquared. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you may know, on January 26, 2011, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) granted LightSquared a waiver to build a nationwide broadband network. Since then, several organizations have expressed concerns regarding the potential of LightSquared's proposed network to interfere with neighboring Global Positioning System (GPS) signals. LightSquared recently announced that it would move its proposed network to a new spectrum block so that its system would not interfere with GPS signals. The FCC is currently working with LightSquared and the concerned parties to resolve any potential problems. Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as work continues on this issue.

Thank you again for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Pat Toomey
U.S. Senator, Pennsylvania
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ted Pounds

Good news from the FCC:

FCC Puts LightSquared On Indefinite Hold 

Chairman Says Broadband Company Will Not Be Allowed To Interfere With GPS

The chairman of the FCC on Tuesday told reporters that the agency would not allow LightSquared to interfere with millions of GPS receivers on which pilots, mariners, and the public rely for navigation. The remarks came in a news conference following the commissions' monthly meeting.

FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski said LightSquared's launch of a nationwide wireless broadband network would be "on hold" until interference issues are resolved. Broadcast and Cable magazine reports that the commission's goal is to both protect GPS and promote the wireless service that he said would create jobs and lead to private investment in the billions of dollars.

While commissioners agreed that the service proposed by LightSquared would be valuable, they admitted that the interference issue outweighs other concerns. Staffers indicated that they were very interested in protecting aircraft navigation to places such as Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport ... as planes on approach to DCA could be seen from the FCC's conference room window.

The FCC representatives said that there continues to be interference problems, which become more pronounced the closer the LightSquared transmissions are to the GPS band. One FCC official said he did not see a scenario where LightSquared would be allowed to use those frequencies "anytime soon," and that the commission was focusing on testing in the lower portion of

LightSquared's proposed bandwidth. The FCC said it was not able to commit to any particular timeframe for the matter to be resolved. LightSquared CEO Phillip Falcone said the company plans to continue to work with both the FCC and the GPS industry in an attempt to resolve the matter.

Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447