Looking for Refrigerator and Engine Maintainance in San Diego

Previous topic - Next topic

awesome34

I am looking for good refrigeration service and engine service in San Diego.  I would appreciate any recommendations from other San Diego area c34 owners. 

A little background:
I just bought a 1988 c34 and I am really happy with it, but the refer is dead. It probably needs to be recharged, but its and older norcold with a flat plate and I want to be able to freeze things, so I am thinking of having an adler barbour installed instead. 

Also, a few things need to be fixed that came up on the survey with the engine.  They are all pretty minor, but I am not completely comfortable doing it myself yet and could use a good engine guy who can do some work, service the engine regularly, and hopefully I could learn from as well.

Thanks,
Eric 

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Hi Eric,
Congrats on your boat. I'm sure your going to love it!
The diesel mechanic I've been using since I bought our boat is Alfredo of Quality Marine.
His number is 619-248-5453
I have the name of a refrigeration guy somewhere and as soon as I find it I'll post it.

What marina are you at?

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

awesome34

Thanks a lot Mike.  Right now, I am at Seaforth Marina in Mission Bay.  What Marina are you at?

Kevin Henderson

Hi Eric,

Congratulations on your 34.  I too have a 1988 that I've owned for almost a year now.  Feel free to pick everyones brain here with questions. The forum is a great resource.  More importantly, consider join the C 34 Association to unlock even more information and resources.
I have heard a lot of good things about the folks over at A to Z Marine Services 619-224-1606 on Shelter Island.  Although I have not had them out to work on my boat I have dealt with them at their location and they are awesome.
I think your going to find that you and Mike are next door neighbors.  Same thing happened to me and Ralph (AKA SD DIVER).  We are both located down at Pier 32 in  the South Bay.  Great Marina and prices are good if your out looking.
Welcome aboard!!    :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Kevin Henderson

Another thing Eric. 
You will be hard pressed to find anyone else on this forum that is more fearful of working on their engine than I am.  :nail (Please see all my posts concerning engine maintenance).  I have found however, that most things really are much easier than they seem at first.  More importantly, in my opinion, you become intimately aware of all the nuances of how the systems work and in turn builds confidence in ability.
I'm still not one to be tearing out my injectors or head gaskets, but I've already done the requisite filter cleaning and changing, Oil changing, and heck, even a heat exchanger cleanout and gasket change... including the elusive HX Zinc..... (You do know there's a Zinc in there to be replaced don't you?)... I didn't at first.
Anyway... dig in and welcome aboard.   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ralph Masters

Eric,
Welcome to the world of the C34 here in San Diego.  Like Kevin I have my boat down in Pier 32.  We have had our boat, Ciao Bella, for nearly a year and love it.  As for a diesel engine guy you might try Mario of "The Boat Grotto", 619.840.1977.  A straight shooter, if it doesn't need fixed he'll tell you.  If it does, he has fair prices.  And they do pier side seervice.
As for the fridge, can't help you there, we still have the ice box.
As Kevin mentioned, there is a wealth of knowledge on this site.  If you can't find it in the search, send a note direct to one of the two Gods of C34's, Stu or Ron.  If they don't know it, it aint' worth knowing.
Again, welcome aboard, we'll have to get all the 34 owners in one room some day and chat over a cold drink of some sort.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

awesome34

Thanks Kevin and Ralph, nice to meet you.  The advice is really helpful, I appreciate it. 

Stu Jackson

Eric,

Welcome to the family.

Anything we don't know someone else will and we'll provide you with a link!

Enjoy, we're at the SF Bay Catalina Rendezvous. 

Man, free wireless is wonderful.  They should have it everywhere that's beyond the reach of a Starbucks (friends don't let friends drink...)

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Eric, I finally found the name of the refrigeration guy.
It is Gary James of Fleming Marine Refrigeration
2302 Shelter Island Drive
Ph 610-222-9124

I'm right next to you at Marina Village at D dock by the delli. If you haven't been there yet, they do a nice Sunday brunch.
Did you nuy your boat through Seaforth Yacht Sales? I saw they had a C34 for sale.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

awesome34

Thanks for the welcome, Stu, I have already found a ton of useful information on the site and plan to become a member.   

Mike,

Thanks for the fridge guy info.  I bought my boat up in Marina Del Rey.  I looked at the boat Seaforth was selling, though.  Someone got a really good deal on a bare bones c34, but for me it would have been too much of a project and I wanted a boat that was a little better equipped.  Let me know the sometime you are planning to come out to your boat and maybe we could meet. 

-Eric

Ron Hill

awe : Don't know if you've solved your refridgeration problem yet or not. 
I had some fridge problems and wrote that I'd recommend everyone always get a certified repairman for that brand "reffer" that you have in the boat.

Reason is that a certified brand repair man usually has the spare parts in his truck and can get the job done in one trip and a shorter time.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Eric, send a note to my email at the bottom of this post and we can exchange info. We were in SD this past weekend but had other commitments. We did get a good day of sailing in Saturday though and the wind was perfect.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net