Propane Tank Size

Previous topic - Next topic

Wobegon

Does anyone know the dimensions of the propane tank that was original to a 1992 C34?  My tank has run empty and being that it is so old, I either need to replace the tank or replace the valve...trying to determine best option for us.  I forgot to take measurements, etc. last weekend while at the boat.  I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a new tank, but smaller, so it will fit in existing locker with the new type of valve, etc.   

I have read the posts regarding this issue, but I need not see any dimensions that will fit in the existing propane locker without modifying it.  As always, any wisdom be appreciated.

Ron Volk

Wobegon,

I have hull # 1235 (1993), and had the same dilemma and decided to buy a new fiberglass & plastic one (10# cylinder) from The Lite Cylinder Co., (www.litecylinder.com), it is corrosion free you can pull it up & see the amount of liquid in it. It fits into the existing holder and has room for the regulator, pressure gauge and additional t-valve and hose for my stern mounted barbecue.  I still have the old one in my garage.  The dimensions of it is 16 1/2" High and 10 1/2" in Diameter
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Wobegon

Ron;

Thanks!  My hull is 1211 so I assume the size of your locker is the same as mine.  The specs on the 10# cylinder show the overall height of 17.25" and diameter of 9.6" accordingly....is that the same one you purchased?  They show $95...is that the right one?

Ron Volk

Yes, that's the one but my diameter dimension shows 9.25".  Was $85 when I purchased it the end of 2008.
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Wobegon

Thanks again....Does your tank have some extra room on the diameter?  Do you think that larger size will fit?  I have found it on line from $95 to $119 range.  This looks like a very cost effective alternative.   I think I will order one this week.  Thanks!

Ron Volk

Should fit, as mentioned in the original answer the old tank was 10 1/2' D.
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Ron Hill

Wo : So you have an idea of comparason, the new OPD valve in your old tank will cost about $35.  It can be done on the spot and the tank recertified then refilled.

A thought.
Ron, Apache #788

Wobegon

Thank you to everyone.  I installed my replacement propane tank and it fit great.  To be cautious, I did end up replacing the gauge, regulator and hoses as well.  I guess I was paranoid not knowing how old they were.  Great piece of mind.

Ralph Masters

How long will a one gallon propane tank last you in normal weekend use???  Looking at upgrading and the one gallon locker being 13 x 13 x 13 should fit

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

SD : If your use is 52 weekends you'll run out before the end of the year.

Almost impossibe to predict if you don't know the number of burners, how high the flame, how often, use of the oven etc. -- you see my point!?!
Ron, Apache #788

n624ma

General "Rule of Thumb" is one pound of propane per person per week to cook three meals a day.

A gallon is about 4 1/4 lb so for two people about 14 weekends, probably more since a lot of us probably eat sandwiches at lunch and don't have dinner aboard on on Sunday.

Our last boat had a 10 pound tank and we never emptied it in a seven month New England season, typically 2-3 weekends a month and two week long trips.
Joseph Rheubeck

Ralph Masters

Good info, thanks to all

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

SD : I have a 11 lb tank and like N6 have to refill once a year and there is still propane in that tank.
I average 100-110 overnights a year (for the past 24 years except when we went south for 8 months).
We usually only use one burner and the oven is used frequently in the spring and the fall.

This may give you some idea of usage.  One of the first things I did to my C34 back in 1989 was to go from the 1 gallon tank and make a 10 lb tank box (look in projects).  Have never had a problem of running short of propane. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Just as a side note, I'm upgrading from the pressure alcohol stove and tank.  The room under the seat is not large enough to put a big tank.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

SD : If you go to projects, you'll see that I made my own box and installed it under the aft lazerette seat.

Check it out! 
Ron, Apache #788