Fridge Light & Arm

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay Greene

Here are a couple of photos of two nice quality of life improvements we made this year to Serendipity.  The stainless steel bending arm and hinges for the fridge top are from West Marine.  The light is a cooler light from LL Bean.  It is LED and motion sensitive so it lights up when you reach in to find that last beer.  I used to think that I preferred the front-opening fridges you see on newer boats but these two changes have made our top opening fridge almost as functional.  Installation of all of this took less than a half hour. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Clay Greene

Sorry, here is the photo of the arm. 

Clay Greene

And just for good measure, here is a photo of the hinges. 

Tom Clay

Nice mods. The hinges were the first modification to our boat in 2006.

I will be adding the lifting arm in the next couple of weeks.
Tom and Lynn Clay
2006 34' Hull #1760......Somewhere
Olympia, Wa.

Stu Jackson

Anyone looking for the lifting arm, they're called "Hatch Holders."

We have one for our fridge top, one for the middle piece above the engine and one for the nav station top.  Great things, you'll wonder how you lived without 'em.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

DarthOccam

Very nice modification and great pictures.  I especially like the light, as that is something I wouldn't have thought of.

Another item for the to-do list.

Michael
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Ron Hill

Guys : A number of us with the early MK Is have done something similar(1986/87/89).

I moved my florescent tube light forward and mounted a 2nd florescent over the stove.  My 1st Mate says there is enough light in the fridge from that overhead florescent.

The day after I bought the boat back in 1989, I installed a small brass cup hook that will engage the the ring on the fridge lid and hold the lid open.

I just mention this as my crew is happy with those fixes and says she does not need a light, lid holder (which I have on the engine and Nav table tops) or hinges (which I have on the salon screen)

A thought 
Ron, Apache #788

Bobg

Thanks, what size hatch holder did you get, my daughter  bought me a light exactly like you got, she will be thrilled to hear others did the same thing,
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Clay Greene

We bought the small West Marine hatch arm, all of $11.49.  We liked it so much that we added the medium arm for the chart table and the large arm for the port lazarette in the cockpit. 

Roc

Be very careful with those spring type hatch arms.  If your arm or hand accidentally touches it, it bends the spring and the hatch, or whatever is held up, will come crashing down.  I added a type of arm that you open the hatch all the way, a latch locks in place, and the arm stays open.  To close, you lift the hatch all the way open, the retaining latch disengages, then you close the hatch. It's rigid with a telescoping movement.  I have one on the refridgerator door and one on the cover for the engine compartment.  I bought them from Catalina Parts (Florida, Walter Pandy I think was his name), because I saw this on the refridgerator on one of the larger Catalina boats a the show several years ago.  I think they were about $12 each.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD