New NMEA2000 System

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Masters

This weekends project was installing the new Garmin 740 GPS, Garmin VHF200 Radio and the NMEA2000 Back bone to link them.  Ran the wire up through the steering pedestal but had to file out one of the holes in the base plate to get the plug through.  The base plate has two hole for wires, and the shift cable and throttle cable go through those.  So the the shift cable there the plug would not fit.  But with the ability of the radio to send position now it was all worth the trouble.
The next upgrade will be the Garmin wind indicator that also ties into the NMEA2000 so you have wind speed and direction on the GPS display.  Oh, did I mention the Garmin 740 is touch screen, very nice "toy".

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Kevin Henderson

:clap :clap
Great work Ralph.... Sorry I had to leave the Marina early so I didn't have an opportunity to stop by.
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ralph Masters

Kevin,
How did the fuel filter project turn out??  Boat up and running?

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Jordan Rash

Ralph,

What components make up you "backbone" and did you get them locally or internet??  Good job on the system, CaliGal gets here in 6 days and once the mast is back up and she looks like a sailboat again, I'm going to start working on my NMEA system.  Except mines going to all work through my iPad via MACENC  :shock: I have a feeling it's gunna be a nightmare!

Jordan
Jordan Rash
CaliGal #1126
1991 C34

Ralph Masters

Jordan,
I bought the GPS and Radio and all the NMEA2000 parts from West Marine.  The NMEA2000 "Backbone" is the T-conections for the various components and the cables to connet it all together.  The NMEA system is connected to a power source as well.  The hardest part was running the cable from the GPS down through the binicle into the aft lazerret aft under the water tank into the bilge past the prop shaft into the cabinet under the head sink then through the wire way into the cabinet behind the nav table.  I connected all the T-connectors together there and attached them to the bulkhead that makes the front of that cabinet, right next to the radio.  The PO had an invertor at some point so there was two wires there with a breaker on the panel listed as Invertor.  I use that now to power the NMEA and the Radio.  The power for the GPS I tied into the power for the instruments on the pedistal, depth and speed.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987