interesting rain water phenomena

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Heyman

After returning to the boat for the first time in 1 1/2 months, I found the toilet bowl full of clear water and additional water on the floor of the head. During the season we can get back flow into the bowl in a bit of a chop or when heeling excessively but in that case the water is not clear. (I do need to replace the joker valve?) At any rate, I concluded there was quite a bit of water in the holding tank but was unsure how it got there. Either we had inadvertently not fully pumped out the final fresh water tank flush of the season or new water had intruded over the winter. The latter was evidently the case. I inspected the pump out access on the port side and found that the deck cap was badly cracked.  (I was going to replace it but forgot) and rain water and melting snow had been intruding all winter. The pump out access is not covered by our tarps.
Lesson: Never underestimate the amount of water that can be absorbed through a broken deck plate or cap.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Tommy R

On a similar note, last spring after putting the boat back in the water, I had a similar.  I tore apart the plumbing system expecting to find a faulty thru-hull (but all was intact).  After 3 return trips I found the culprit.  I had not had a chance to clean the topsides when it first went back in the water.  There were a few small wet leaves plugging the spillover holes on the decksides.  The result was the pooling of water that entered the holding tank through the stanchion vent - enough to fill the tank.  A minor flaw in the production as if the vent was 2" higher the water could never had reached it and this problem would have been averted.  The good news...all it cost me was time...(and a little embarrassment).   :shock:
Tom

Ron Hill

Guys : A cracked Waste cap is fixable; a cracked FUEL cap - is a real mess!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Albreen

I just found a cracked waste cap was the cause of a very full and bulging waste tank I also thought was the result of a deficient pump out at end of season. Has anyone replaced this cap with a metal one instead of plastic? Thankfully, the fuel fill and cap have already been switched out by the PO.
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

Ron Hill

Paul : I don't know of anyone that has replaced the waste hose assembly, but it's the same 1 1/2" fitting and I have seen stainless waste assembly units. 
Ron, Apache #788

Albreen

I may change out to stainless.......I'm certain I dodged an ugly bullet this winter with all the water in the waste tank that was overfilled, bulging up and ice solid at one point mid winter. With temp.'s here below 0 many days in winter, I feel fortunate there were no cracks, ruptures or seams damaged come spring. Phew! I see Catalina sells the 1 1/2" stainless fill and cap unit for the waste also. 
Paul Leible
Sailing Lake Champlain

Footloose

FWIW-Hood/Pompanette also has them.  You may want to price compare.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Albreen

Thanks Dave - I'll price compare. Sounds like you may have you changed the waste deck unit already?
Paul Leible
Sailing Lake Champlain

Footloose

I just purchased new plastic covers from Catalina direct.  I plan to put 303 protectant on them.  I have had good luck with other plastics and nylon when coated with it.  I just purchased a new furler from Hood and they were "kind enough" to enclose a catalog.

Hope you have been able to launch now that the water is down.  I finally have a place to pump out in Mallets Bay.
Dave G.
"Footloose"

Albreen

Don't want to hijack this off in a different direction. But, I was able to launch last week and move to the Burlington Harbor............nice to be off-the-hard at last. Water quality was better with fewer pieces of large debris than I expected. Is the 303 protectant you refer to the same product used for canvas?
Paul Leible
Sailing Lake Champlain

Footloose

Dave G.
"Footloose"

Craig Illman

I think you'll want the 303 Aerosol Protectant, not the 303 Fabric Guard for canvas.