shower sump

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Where is the shower sump pump, and how hard to replace and whats the replacement pump? Ours still works but is 20 years old and I know it will fail when we go on our annual summer cruise.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Fred Koehlmann

We have a 2002 C34 MkII, and the shower sump pump is located under the galley sinks beside the water pressure pump. I have a photo that reminds me that it is an Par-Max3 shower drain pump model 30610-0092. The pump also doubles as the ice-box water pump. At first glance the connections look easy enough to disconnect and reconnect, so I imagine that it shouldn't be to difficult to swap out. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Fred.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Fred Koehlmann

Here are the photos of our pump...
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

chuck53

I've got an 87 and mine is located under the sink in the head.
Why not turn it on and follow the sound?

Lance Jones

I replaced mine with a Whale (sp) Gulper. It's more quiet than OEM and keeps well ahead of the in flow from the shower.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Cliff : If you have sprayed some silicone on that pump diaphragm, you'll keep it from cracking and it'll last longer.  Do the same to you manual emergency bilge pump diaphragm!!

Do the same to all of your hatch gaskets!!   A couple of thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

All great ideas especially the Silicone fix. I just admire how clean everyone else's plumbing looks. Even the fiberglass looks spotless!!

Rod Caines

Lance:
I read up on the Whale Gulper and it sounds like a good replacement for my fried Jabsco.  On my 87 the sump is located under the sink in the head.  Is this were yours is located?  if so, would you have a photo of your installation?

It must be sump pump season.
Thanks,
Rod
Rodney Caines
1987 C-34 Sail La Vie
S/N 352

Ralph Masters

On my 87 there is not a shower sump.  The drain goes down to a 90 degree elbow that the hose is attached to and that hose goes to a diaphram pump under the head sink.  One of the PO's removed the check valve and blanked off the hose on both ends.  The pump discharge is still connected to the through hull.  There is no hand held shower.  We still do the PTA with a wash cloth, or run up to the head at the marina.

Ralph
Ciao Bell
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Guys : As Ralph mentioned the shower plumbing is mounted under the head floor for about 1300 MKI C34 hulls.

The MkII has the shower plumbing under the galley sink a mentioned by Fred for about 500 C34 hulls.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

chuck53

Quote from: SD Diver on June 22, 2011, 03:45:30 PM
On my 87 there is not a shower sump.  The drain goes down to a 90 degree elbow that the hose is attached to and that hose goes to a diaphram pump under the head sink.  One of the PO's removed the check valve and blanked off the hose on both ends.  The pump discharge is still connected to the through hull.  There is no hand held shower.  We still do the PTA with a wash cloth, or run up to the head at the marina.

Ralph
Ciao Bell

That's what I have on my 87, but my sink faucet is attached to a 3' flexible hose so you can use it as a hand held shower.

Lance Jones

I'll take the images when I get home. It is in the same location; but, I've added the in-line strainer that Ron suggested and I would HIGHLY suggest too. It goes in between the drain and the check valve. Since adding this feature last year, I have had zero trouble with my check valve!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Cliff,

You may want  to consider reading your boat manual.  As noted, there is a distinct difference between the Mark I and Mark II systems.

You may be interested in this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4114.0.html

The "sump" is just that: a big, empty box, under your sole in front of the head door. The pump in underneath the head sink area, to port (your right when looking inside).  The diaphragm pump, replaced by some with other kinds of pumps, suck the water out of the sump (box) and throws it overboard through the thru hull.  The check valve keeps water backing back into the sump.

Nothing to "service" on the sump (except being careful to NOT pull hoses off the box which would require cutting a hole in the sole - underneath the teak & holly, which is fiberglass - the teak & holly is only screwed in above the fiberglass).  That "hole cut" is written up in the Tech Notes, with pictures, which would can find via the "Knowledgebase."

Only service items are the check valve and the pump.  Look around down there, it all becomes apparent pretty quickly.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

crieders

Mine is a 1990 boat hull 1022. Seems that the pump is not reachable but I will have to double check now.

Stephen Butler

Our shower sump pump is a diaphram type, mounted under the head sink, to the right and slightly up the turn of the hull.   Hope this helps.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023