Eyebrow replacements from Catalina Direct

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

I normally just hit it with sand paper, random orbital where possible, hand otherwise.  Since we do it yearly, can sand/paint the entire exterior teak in less than a day.  We use Cetol, if you are going for the Bristol look, it's a whole lot more work.   There are a variety of paint scrapers in different sizes that you could use if you want to continue with the scraping instead of sanding.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

scotty

Sand, bleach and 8 coats of Interlux Admiral's Gloss Varnish.  Love that high gloss shine!!
Scotty

Indian Falls

Hi Ken,

You sand down to bare wood and reapply all in one day?  I used a detail sander on the eyebrows at first... totally useless in my opinion, all it did was clog all of my expensive little triangular papers.

Since the cetol has gone beyond life expectancy and exposed areas are graying and black do I have to get down to bare wood?   Can you just sand the surface, bleach the black stuff and re-coat?

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Ken Juul

By doing it yearly, I don't need to take it to bare wood.  Just rough the surface and knock off high spots/embedded dirt/flaking finish.

If you have the gray/black, yes you need to do the whole process.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

scotty

Yes, it takes some work.  Remember that the grey is caused by a fungus, so bleaching is key to getting it looking good.  Don't sand the grey out - that wears off to much wood.  Over years, small trim pieces like the eyebrow can need replacement because of over-sanding.
Scotty

Indian Falls

About this Goop Super Mend Epoxy Paste...   It got fairly cold this week and I assume the hull shrunk a little bit due to normal thermal contraction as all of it is exposed to the air now being in the cradle.  The Goop not being nearly as hard as Gel coat epoxy allowed the eyebrow to pop away from the hull, mostly in the middle.  Pulling the little screws out of the goop.  Seems that the teak does not shrink as much along it's length as fiberglass does.
Now I get to drill out the "GOOP" and fill with regular epoxy. 

I take back my recommendation for "GOOP".
Dan & Dar

rjthompson

Thanks for that update. Mine are still in storage until that one owner who's bought the same eyebrows and installed them replies. Patience is a virtue they say.

Bob
Bob Thompson, Viento Loco, Hull #195

Indian Falls

RJ,   If they are not already finished...  When you put them on for the first time, why don't you consider soaking them in water for a couple days and then apply them to the curve in your hull.  Teak won't be harmed by a good soaking.  Water makes all the fibers in wood move past each other without breaking.  Steam is great because it's faster.  If I were you I would find a way to get them wet ... got a 24' dia pool??  Or you could slide them into your garden hose and fill with water.  (just tell everybody:hey don't coil up that hose!)  You can even set it up to droop in the direction you want the trim to bend.
Dan & Dar

rjthompson

These eyebrows are 1 1/4" wide, but I could use some 1 1/2 - 2" sump hose. What a great idea! You've made my day. Have to wait for spring now, but I will let you know how that works out. Thanks a bunch!

Bob

scotty

You can steam them by wraping them in a tube of some waterproof material.  Attach one end of the tube to a steam source (think big tea kettle).  Steam works really well to soften wood for bending.  tube:  use pvc pipe (wrapped with insulating material).  "kettle":  big pot with metal lid, braze or solder on a nipple.  attach to the pvc with a hose.
Scotty

Indian Falls

RJ,  No wonder you're having trouble, those things are huge, mine would slide right into a 5/8 garden hose.  Glad I could help, send a picture when you get them on there.  I mentioned the other day that the hull shrunk when the temp got down in the forties and the eyebrow pulled the screws out.
I wonder what size screws you'll use to hold that on there.  Mine are affixed with #6 stainless screws about 5/8'' long.  They won't hold your "teak baseboard" down. 

Dan & Dar

rjthompson

Catalina Direct said they were "beefier". Scotty suggested steam, maybe after soaking for a couple of days. I could also rip them to a more manageable size. They are feathered from 0" to 1/4" thick. I was going to get #8 oval head screws because the #6 just aren't strong enough.